Paint Amateur

Four_N_Six

I have decided to be a jerk and spread myself into a 3rd faction, but I'm just getting a toe in.  Maybe a full right foot, but that's it.

I'm hitting up Ressers, and I've seen a couple of crews painted in grayscale that I really like the look of, so I figured I'd do the whole faction like that.  Black and white movie style seems fitting enough for the zombies and ghosts.  Only thing is I have no idea how to pull it off, because I'm not great at the painting thing.  My stuff generally looks good from the table, but I wouldn't recommend grabbing one and taking a closer look.

So that being said, what's the best way to tackle this?  Should I be priming white and building from there?  Should I start with a more actual gray basecoat and trying to wash areas black and highlighting (which I'm awful at) white?

I would try base coating in black and dry brushing to grey.  Then, if the figure warrants it, highlighting with lighter greys and near whites.

But I part of it is going to be what style of black-and-white you're trying to do.  There's a big difference between some of the potential color styles, you can either end up with four to eight district shades (black, white, and two to six or more -distinct- grey shades as your palette) or you can do stuff that looks like a charcoal drawing.

To be honest, it may be easier to do a whole figure in grey with shading, and then paint one specific element in color.  For example, a grey belle with a red umbrella.

Yeah, that sort of grey-scale plus one color paint scheme should look nice.

My experience has been that grey with black inking ends up looking messier than base coating with black and either dry brushing grey or doing thin coats of grey.  Then again, "messy" would probably be a good look for a lot of the undead.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

If you like a black and white look go for 2 compnents basecoat with spray. First spray the model in black. Then spray the model from a higher angle white and maybe a last shot directly from above. You end up with perfect zenithal lightning. Now you can add some color by using washes if you like. And a layer for the details.

I don't have an actual picture of a model, but of base I built. May that helps for the impression:

27349118gs.jpg

• Like 1