What to paint to go with Asami

D_acolyte

I am doing a paint and grow league right now and have Mei and Lynch already but I probably going to add another master and Asami. Who do you think would be good to add as well between Misaki, Yan Lo and Shenlong and why? I have not played as 10 thunders for a year or two.

I was thinking of Yan Lo as he has some abilities that help spirits which there are some oni spirits and some non oni spirit.

Misaki sort of competes with Mei in roles a little, both being a different form of combat masters.

Shenlong is the weakest to me because I have not been impressed by him.

Yes, I know this might change after I get the book but i will worry about that after I get it. I am not worried about a possible "bad buy" because I think they all have good parts.

I disagree with the premise that Mei is a combat master: I've never been able to get that out of her. In Arcanist she has quick moving constructs that allow her to dive into the opponent crew before that are ready, but in 10T I always find my opponent is well prepared before Mei gets close. I still take seismic claws, but I take it for the pushes more than anything else.

For me, Mei is a denial expert: almost impossible to shoot should she so decide and able to hit from any angle rather than distance, manipulating enemy models out of scoring zones.

As a combat master, Misaki is far the superior. I played a game thus week where in one recalled training turn she killed Rusty Alyce, a performer and a hollow waif. She was not fast. Two turns later she failed to kill Levi with no waifs left on the board.... That was a little dissapointing.

19 minutes ago, Skitt_Happens said:

I disagree with the premise that Mei is a combat master: I've never been able to get that out of her. In Arcanist she has quick moving constructs that allow her to dive into the opponent crew before that are ready, but in 10T I always find my opponent is well prepared before Mei gets close. I still take seismic claws, but I take it for the pushes more than anything else.

For me, Mei is a denial expert: almost impossible to shoot should she so decide and able to hit from any angle rather than distance, manipulating enemy models out of scoring zones.

As a combat master, Misaki is far the superior. I played a game thus week where in one recalled training turn she killed Rusty Alyce, a performer and a hollow waif. She was not fast. Two turns later she failed to kill Levi with no waifs left on the board.... That was a little dissapointing.

That odd, when I played her she ended up in 3 turns kill 2 executioners and an other model while hurting some more which works out to a big model a turn. She tends to really need the enemy clustered to get the best use of her combat power becoming a whirling death matching and using her mobility trigger to stay alive. Misaki on the other hand is a guided missile of single point damage.

From a box standpoint I don't think Mei adds a lot to 10T besides Kang. Unless of course you have a lot of Ressers and Arcanists in your meta in which case you're golden. Railworkers are good but slow, and for 5ss I've always wanted 10T bros instead. This might get shaken up if Yokai are good enough but we'll see.

Yan Lo's Ancestor super team are good but slow. Asami can help that with her push and pull ability to shove Yin and Izamu around but other than that doesn't have much interaction with them. Not that Izamu needs anything besides a push or two to get to where he needs to be to kick some booty.

Misaki's box won't do a whole lot unless you love Ototo (again Asami's push is great). That said she can fill a different roll than Asami like you said, especially when your opponent has one or two models that you need dead like right now. Like the Viks games can be swingy if she flubs or she can demolish an entire crew in a turn or two, it depends.

I love Shenlong. He's my main man. Probably just a difference in play styles between us, but I think him and Asami will be my main two masters for 10T after Gencon. His ability to maneuver and buff his crew at will, on the fly, before going into Defensive+4 Misdirection "come at me bro" stance is awesome. His High River Style is a bit of a trap so I've moved towards focus and defensive to get the most out of him. Someone posted in an older Shen thread that he and the Lone Swordsman are Master/Henchmen assassins because they both have a trigger to deny soulstone use. Super tasty. All around he makes a good crew better, and tarpits the opponent until flipping the table and punching people in the face.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cadaverousbirth said:

From a box standpoint I don't think Mei adds a lot to 10T besides Kang. Unless of course you have a lot of Ressers and Arcanists in your meta in which case you're golden. Railworkers are good but slow, and for 5ss I've always wanted 10T bros instead. This might get shaken up if Yokai are good enough but we'll see.

Only Resser I want to beat is my father.

Yan Lo's Ancestor super team are good but slow. Asami can help that with her push and pull ability to shove Yin and Izamu around but other than that doesn't have much interaction with them. Not that Izamu needs anything besides a push or two to get to where he needs to be to kick some booty.

I love Yin but have Genbu (Izamu) and Toshiro. I hope the other 3 Beast Gods get models.

Misaki's box won't do a whole lot unless you love Ototo (again Asami's push is great). That said she can fill a different roll than Asami like you said, especially when your opponent has one or two models that you need dead like right now. Like the Viks games can be swingy if she flubs or she can demolish an entire crew in a turn or two, it depends.

Ototo is good, he is a beat stick if you need that it works. The Torakage look interesting and she has synergy with the Jorogumo.

As for me not being impressed by Shenlong, that mostly comes from playing vs him, on paper he looks good but the execution was lacking. I think some of it comes down to the comp of my enemies in those games: 1 close combat model does not stop 2 neverborn close combat models. If I do go with him I will probably go heavy into the fermented river. As for my style, I can adapt to what the master does but I tend to be a blitzes and brawler that like keeping the pressure on.