Gaining and transfering Chi

Dassenkop

I recently got my Yan Lo box assembled. Looking at the cards for his crew was wondering if below sequence would work.

Turn 1 -

Chiaki activates and casts 'The calling' on Toshiro with the :tome trigger. Toshiro relents and Chiaki gains Chi +1 condition. Toshiro suffers from damage flip (which can't be cheated).

Yan Lo activates, discards a card to 'Focus Chi' then he casts 'Instill Youth' to heal Toshiro.

Turn 2 -

Chiaki activates and with het 'Innocence' transfers het Chi +1 condition to Toshiro.

Read the Chi mechanics carefully...

Yan's ability to gain from death is only when a model is killed by a model it considers and enemy.

The Soul Porter is actually a great way to Chi up.

Or banging your own Ashi for severe.

Chiaki I rarely gain chi from or get to chi-up.

I have to say I feel like every time I forget to do something with Yan Lo I should gain a chi...

*Sniglet---Chi up, when a chia pet is fed 7-up instead of water

From the Resser side (apologies for polluting the thread!), I think night terrors are worth a look for Chi generation:

They're only Df 3, so Yan Lo is 3 up on casting spirit barrage against them right away (assuming you remember to discard a card at the start of his activation to get Chi +1).

Assuming you can get to a straight flip, you can ping them for a severe damage which takes them to their HtK, then you can ping them again to kill them for another Chi.

Long story short, 6pts of night terror can get Yan Lo both his defensive upgrades and Chi +3 by the end of his first AP on turn 2, so long as you have two severe cards in hand on the first turn.

The only down side is that they don't leave corpse markers for Toshiro to turn into Ashigaru, but giving up 2 Chi when they are so easy to hit and only 3 points is worth it in my opinion.

• Like 1

The best Chi gainer if you want to damage/kill your own models is Komainu. They will survive the double severe due to armor and HTK. You can actually use them for a second turn of chi creation then remake them via Toshiro's upgrade from their scrap. Focusing then charging is also not a terrible idea to not deplete your hand as fast. I generally will walk to Komainu and go defensive then have Yan Lo charge to their side and in cover.

Soul Porters are the break class in case of emergency contingency plan if you don't have the cards to guarantee a second upgrade equip on turn two (severes). Unless you think you are actively going to be threatened turn one your control hand is not that important.

In general though Yan Lo is very card hungry, I highly recommend bringing models that are either card efficient with built in :+fate or give you draw such as Sue, or Lust.

• Like 1