Tara in gg16

Patzer

I'm not sure about the theory because I generally select my master at least partially based on 'what I feel like', but here are some practical example of when I've chosen Tara in GG2016 singles format games.

Outcasts, corner deployment, Headhunter, Convict Labour, Hunting Party, Catch and Release, Show of Force, Occupy Their Turf: Here. Result: win.

Arcanists, flank deployment, Collect the Bounty, Convict Labour, Exhaust Their Forces, Leave Your Mark, Search The Ruins, Mark For Death: Here.  Result: win.

Arcanists, close deployment, Collect the Bounty, Convict Labour, Catch and Release, Undercover Entourage, Hunting Party, Leave Your Mark: Here.  Result: draw.

Resurrectionists, corner deployment, Reckoning, Convict Labour, Exhaust Their Forces, Take Prisoner, Covert Breakthrough, Inspection: Here. Result: Loss, turned into a win on review (a bit of strange case).

On review, it seems that I favour her somewhat for killing strategies and have a pretty good record.  You could probably make a case that other masters would have done better in any scenario, but at the least it might be concluded that Tara is capable of mixing it with the best.  For anyone who is not familiar with the UK scene, none of these games are against weak or inexperienced players.

• Like 2

I haven't played with her yet, but my instinct is that she's a toolbox for improving your crew (and some scheme-running with her 6AP) more than a beaty master herself. The most finite resource in the game is AP, and she can potentially give you 50% more of it. I'd say she can be taken in any set of schemes and strategies where your crew is going to do the heavy lifting.

10 hours ago, Argentbadger said:

I'm not sure about the theory because I generally select my master at least partially based on 'what I feel like', but here are some practical example of when I've chosen Tara in GG2016 singles format games.

On review, it seems that I favour her somewhat for killing strategies and have a pretty good record.  You could probably make a case that other masters would have done better in any scenario, but at the least it might be concluded that Tara is capable of mixing it with the best.  For anyone who is not familiar with the UK scene, none of these games are against weak or inexperienced players.

Thanks for the really neat reply! So nice to have strong evidence provided against ones initial claim; it really changed my perspective a fair bit. I think you have a really strong point with "You could probably make a case that other masters would have done better in any scenario, but at the least it might be concluded that Tara is capable of mixing it with the best."

I still believe in my own idea that she's the weakest master with the weakest mechanics in outcast.

I've tried her a lot, but I keep find her that way.

If you want to try her, some good schemes would be "Under entourage", or the schemes where you have to put conditions on people.

But be careful, Tara is paper-made speaking of close combat...she will blown up extremely easy.

You can also try to use her to throw fasted sucker in the face of people of try to bury the sucker of enemy team once spotted

On 03/06/2016 at 5:48 AM, Freman said:

I haven't played with her yet, but my instinct is that she's a toolbox for improving your crew (and some scheme-running with her 6AP) more than a beaty master herself. The most finite resource in the game is AP, and she can potentially give you 50% more of it. I'd say she can be taken in any set of schemes and strategies where your crew is going to do the heavy lifting.

SpiralngCadavr is a great source for Tara info and I certainly agree with his stance that Tara doesn't particularly suffer in any game type (from the schemes and stones podcast). 

At first I honestly believed she was the weak link in the outcast chain but with more and more board-time she seems to shine brighter with each successful game - I think the misleading thing with Tara is that you feel she has to play in theme or strive for the bury mechanic - Then when pursuing these approaches you lean towards making the wrong decisions.
Instead of burying, the reactivation is where Tara excels; making cleverly balanced decisions with this extra AP or moving into position and pulsing out fast to support the crew in the next coming turn can make and break games. 

The other thing i found was that (like a dog chasing a car) once she got her bury off on a model I didn't quite know what to do with it - It feels like you should be attacking it or setting it on fire; maybe unburying it with her abilities... Half the time having a model simply being out of the game temporarily is enough; its AP that is not getting use from the opposition; also it can significantly affect the activation control for the current or coming turn.

Overall she's a complex master with many layers and yeah, she's no Perdita or Leveticus, but she is darn fun to use; and I believe she can turn her hand to any scheme/strat. 

• Like 3