Public Demonstration

scarlett fever

Question

"At the start of the game, secretly note down three Minion models in this Crew with a combined Soulstone Cost of at least 15. Once per game, at the end of any Turn after the first reveal this Scheme and score 1 VP for each of the noted models within 4" and LoS of an enemy Master, Henchman, or Enforcer."

I played against someone who used this against me, they named 3 minion models, but they didn't name their individual models (eg; they had multiple insidious madness etc). I've always distinguished between individual models when I've named them (eg; crouching sniper and standing sniper). How do others play this?

4 answers to this question

1 hour ago, scarlett fever said:

"At the start of the game, secretly note down three Minion models in this Crew with a combined Soulstone Cost of at least 15. Once per game, at the end of any Turn after the first reveal this Scheme and score 1 VP for each of the noted models within 4" and LoS of an enemy Master, Henchman, or Enforcer."

I played against someone who used this against me, they named 3 minion models, but they didn't name their individual models (eg; they had multiple insidious madness etc). I've always distinguished between individual models when I've named them (eg; crouching sniper and standing sniper). How do others play this?

For that scheme, you're supposed to note the individual models unless it's a situation where it doesn't matter--They've got three Insidious Madness models and they're specifying all three and nothing else.  I can see where the misunderstanding could come from, but for all of the schemes were a model is noted, "Insidious Madness #1" and "Insidious Madness #2" are different models, and it's not permitted to write down "Insidious Madness" to refer to whichever one ends up being more convenient.

If you discover the misunderstanding in the middle of a game, you're sort of in a no-win situation unless they've really overachieved on the scheme and everything on their list would have been able to score.  :( 

To further clarify, the wording I think important to note is "At the start of the game". This is important because of how "Crew", "Hire" and "Summon" all interact. Because of the reasons I listed below, this is why you cannot list Ikaro for example. Or from your example above, even if you noted “Insidious Madness #3” and played as the dreamer and summoned a third, (#3), it would not count because IM3# was not a part of the crew until summoned. Feel free to read below and share your thoughts.:D

So here are the mechanics as I understand them.

• Crew:  “At its most basic level, a Crew is a group of models that represent a group of characters that the player controls in an Encounter.” 

According to my interpretation the models that comprise a player's team is the never changing “crew”  even when a model is being controlled by the opponent through other means, the model never leaves its crew. That's why there are FAQ’s for other schemes like Hunting Party and Collect the Bounty that clarify which player gets the VP if a controlled model kills a friendly. In the FAQ’s they always reinforce the model’s Crew, not Controller

• Hire:  “Each player will have a set number of Soulstones from which they may hire a Crew.”

Hiring IMHO is a completely separate entity from crew. Yes, you hire models that join and comprise your crew. But your crew is not defined as the models that you hired. That's why models like Lord Chompy Bits and Coryphee Duet, (models that can never be hired, only summoned) are still a part of the players crew.

• Summoning:  “Summoning creates a new model….In addition, the summoned model belongs to the acting model’s Crew, and is under the control of the acting model’s player...Summoned models count toward Victory Rules as normal.”

This reinforces my opinion that the crew is separate from hiring and summoning mechanics. Because the rules state, “belongs to the acting model’s Crew, and is under the control of the acting model’s player” this denotes that crew and model controller are different and that when a model is summoned it joins or is immediately a part of the acting player.  Yes there is the line in the rules that summoned models count toward VP but that's only when they are a part of the crew aka summoned into the crew. This is also why Ressers don’t have to list every model they may potentially summon at the beginning of the game when crews are declared because these available models are not as of yet a part of the crew until summoned.