Shenlong All Comers List

skoatz

I played a demo of Malifaux at Adepticon and I decided to get into the game. So I bought Shenlong's box.  My FLGS is hosting a huge 50 person event at the end of the month.  I decided to take the plunge and I signed up.

My dilemma is that I have to get my shenlong crew up to 50ss and then paint everything.  With a little over two weeks, I'm trying to keep the model count low.

The tournament isn't super competitive and I'm just going to have fun and meet other malifaux players.  So I'm not worried about having the most competitive list, especially since I'm limited to one master.  But I would like to at least put up a fight.

I'm thinking something like this:

4ss cache

Shenlong,wandering

Sensei yu, promising disciple

1 peasant

2x katanaka snipers

Izamu, recalled training

2x tengu

I only have to buy 3 more boxes that way, and I can swap out something with a high river monk or two if I feel like I need it.  I don't think I'll have time or money to buy and paint more than 3 boxes of stuff.

• Like 1

The great about Malifaux is that there is no need for 'all comers' lists. You know the objectives before you build a crew so if you aren't worried about winning just pick whatever you have and see where it goes. If you do want a shot at victory then pick your crew according to the schemes and then choose the schemes you want according to what your opponent has taken in their crew (i.e don't take assassinate against Leveticus, don't take deliver a message if Sidir is on the board, flip the table if your opponent is using the rat engine etc.) then have fun.

Solid list, although you may have trouble with armor. Against a crew with armor on everything you will struggle with killing strats/schemes.  But, knowing is half the battle, so pick schemes that don't require killing if you see lots of armor.

When time and money are available, I'd recommend dropping a sniper for a lone swordsman with recalled training. Personally I find the snipers lacking. Although, they take opponents dedicated AP to remove, so that can work to your advantage. 

On 15.4.2016 at 11:05 PM, Morgs said:

The great about Malifaux is that there is no need for 'all comers' lists. You know the objectives before you build a crew so if you aren't worried about winning just pick whatever you have and see where it goes. If you do want a shot at victory then pick your crew according to the schemes and then choose the schemes you want according to what your opponent has taken in their crew (i.e don't take assassinate against Leveticus, don't take deliver a message if Sidir is on the board, flip the table if your opponent is using the rat engine etc.) then have fun.

That is only true if you've been playing for some time and have a lot of miniatures at your disposal. Especially for beginners, this always-churned-out truth isn't really helpful, because as a new player, you won't have a case full of minis. :)

• Like 4

On 4/15/2016 at 2:05 PM, Morgs said:

Yeah, this part of the game is something I really liked about Malifaux when I was first learning about it.  Unfortunately, this list is for an event that requires models to be painted.  So I'm limited to the few models for the entire event that I will own and be able to paint by the end of April.  After the event, I'm totally getting more stuff!

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, MinionJack said:

How did the event go?

It went well! There were 5 rounds.  I won the first and the third round and lost the other 3.  I played arcanists (rasputina), Zoraida (I don't know her faction), outcasts (Viks), outcasts (Viks), and ten thunders (Misaki)

I learned a ton and had a blast.  All of my opponents were awesome.  And I'm glad I bought Shenlong because he's a lot of fun. 

My list each game was

Shenlong with wandering

Peasant

Yu with disciple

2x katanaka snipers

Izamu with recalled

Lone swordsman with recalled

These were the only models I could get painted in time

I don't know if you're allowed to use proxies. I am running Shen Long pretty aggressively...This means I can charge the enemy already in turn 1 with a fast Shen Long:

Ten Thunders
50ss Crew

Shenlong -- 4ss
 +Misdirection - 2ss
 +Wandering River Style - 2ss
 +Recalled Training - 1ss

Peasant - 2ss

Katanaka Sniper - 7ss

Monk Of Low River - 4ss

Sensei Yu - 9ss
 +Promising Disciple - 2ss

Shadow Emissary - 10ss
 +Conflux Of The Dawn - 0ss

The Lone Swordsman - 8ss
 +Recalled Training - 1ss

A short guide: You should summon a 2nd peasant after the initiative flip. This 2nd peasant is slow and should be summoned in 1" to the sniper to give him Focus (with provide for the temple) - so keep your deployment in mind.
The hired peasant is used to give Shen Long another (0) Action (sacrifice the peasant). You switch to High River Style and attach Wandering River to Yu.

The Emissary is used to give Yu Fast and to draw Cards from the Low River Monk. The Low River Monk is able to get Focus +3 for 1 AP as long he is in 6" to Shen Long. End the condition with the emissary to draw up to 3 Cards.

Yu can push all the necessary models around. I would use Mighty Gust on Shen Long and Lone Swordsman.

When Shen Long activates. Give him Burning and Focus. You need the Burning +1 for Burning Chi. Try to hit the enemy with Lightning Kick. If the enemy is bunched up you can drop Recalled Training to force the blasts on moderate and severe.

If you need more Information, just tell me.

EDIT: You don't really need that much scheme runners because you can push all the scheme markers with mighty gust. Don't Forget you can also push enemy markers to deny points.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, skoatz said:

It went well! There were 5 rounds.  I won the first and the third round and lost the other 3.  I played arcanists (rasputina), Zoraida (I don't know her faction), outcasts (Viks), outcasts (Viks), and ten thunders (Misaki)

I learned a ton and had a blast.  All of my opponents were awesome.  And I'm glad I bought Shenlong because he's a lot of fun. 

My list each game was

Shenlong with wandering

Peasant

Yu with disciple

2x katanaka snipers

Izamu with recalled

Lone swordsman with recalled

These were the only models I could get painted in time

Awesome, glad you had fun. In the games that you lost; did you feel you could have won if you had changed the list, or just if you had played differently?

5 hours ago, MinionJack said:

Awesome, glad you had fun. In the games that you lost; did you feel you could have won if you had changed the list, or just if you had played differently?

Thanks!  I think a combination of the two.  I definitely played some things badly.  And I sometimes picked some schemes that in hindsight were poor choices.  As far as my crew selection went, I'm not sure.  I don't know if I have enough experience against the Viks to really know if I didn't choose a good list or not.  Most of the matches had a hold the center type strategy.  Or at least a strategy that involved going to the center of the board.  And the scary damage Vik was taking apart my crew.  And the last match, I won the flip to choose attacker/defender.  I should have chosen defender.

I'm also glad you suggested the Lone Swordsman.  I picked him up on your suggestion.  I wasn't sure if I'd use him, but I ended up adding him to my list for the tournament and I love the Lone Swordsman.  He got me 3 VP my first match because Rasputina destroyed him and he was my Frame For Murder target.  And the other games he sliced and diced things up.  So thanks for the recommendation!

2 hours ago, skoatz said:

Thanks!  I think a combination of the two.  I definitely played some things badly.  And I sometimes picked some schemes that in hindsight were poor choices.  As far as my crew selection went, I'm not sure.  I don't know if I have enough experience against the Viks to really know if I didn't choose a good list or not.  Most of the matches had a hold the center type strategy.  Or at least a strategy that involved going to the center of the board.  And the scary damage Vik was taking apart my crew.  And the last match, I won the flip to choose attacker/defender.  I should have chosen defender.

I'm also glad you suggested the Lone Swordsman.  I picked him up on your suggestion.  I wasn't sure if I'd use him, but I ended up adding him to my list for the tournament and I love the Lone Swordsman.  He got me 3 VP my first match because Rasputina destroyed him and he was my Frame For Murder target.  And the other games he sliced and diced things up.  So thanks for the recommendation!

That's exactly how I use the lone swordsman as well.

The next addition to my Shenlong crews were Tengu in scheme marker heavy environments. Drop a sniper out of your core list and (if you want the extra SS) recalled training from Izamu to pick up two Tengu. By turn 3 you should have enough markers on the board to get you points until the end of the game.