Campaign Captain Help

Cinnamon Bear

I have very little experience playing Arcanists outside of Rasputina, but I'm going to participate in a shifting loyalties campaign and I'm considering trying out The Captain instead of sticking with my Guild mainstays (The Judge or Francisco). I was wondering if anyone had experience with him in a campaign, or could give me a bit of advice if I decide to go with him. I'd like to try and use the synergies between him and the Gunsmiths, but a bit undecided if I want to work towards Ironsides or Kaeris.

I started with the captain with his patrons blessing upgrade and a gunsmith, willie and johan.

Did very well with it added the firestarter after week 1.

First upgrades i got were +1df and +ml which i gave both to the captain. He really lays down the hurt with that setup as he becomes df7 and ml6 with +flips johan just needs to be within 3" of anyone else in the crew to get +flips to attack. 

I eventually got the rapid fire upgrade for the gunsmith so with easy access to fast she was getting 4 shots off per turn.

I saved the maximum 3 scrip from starting to make sure i would be able to purchase a bounty after game 1. Took the generic upgrade which costs 2ss but allows you to summon your factions effigy.

• Like 1

My last campaign, I ran the Cap, and in the first game got the Companion upgrade... it was awesome! The one thing that a Cap/Ironsides crew really lacks is alpha-striking. All the better if that alpha strike was an unactivated golem with burning +2 (at least) and a hand of tomes.

• Like 1

I ran the Captain w/patrons blessing Gunsmith December Acolyte Large Arachnid and a Union miner the idea was the Arachnid and union would block for the gunsmith and the Gunsmith would bring the damage the Captain was there for damage/support since his air burst is so useful. Also you may note that all of the models except december can put burning on. This of course is to help the gunsmith

It worked pretty well...its hard to tell i liked the crew but in my first game my opponent withdrew so it became a little unbalance ^_^

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice for starting a campaign crew with The Captain, I really appreciate it. I've decided to put him on the back-burner for the current campaign, but I'm definitely going to choose him in the next one. My biggest worry was getting majorly disadvantaged by a lack of activations if I start off with a more elite crew, but hopefully I'll learn some more about what to expect in the current campaign.