The Bayou's Most Wanted

Elessarion

Hey guys!

I'm starting a new series of blog posts about key Gremlin models that maybe sneak under the radar a bit. My first post has gone live today and I'd love to hear your feedback as well as any suggestions for future models to cover in this series :)

http://abnormalifaux.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/the-bayous-most-wanted-mancha-roja.html

• Like 2

You definitely have a couple of differing opinions from me. I'm personally interested to hear how you get Mancha Roja to survive so well, he always seems to suck up soulstones and still die early for me :c

Crushing Strike is actually a lot more powerful than you mentioned - it doesn't do +1 damage, it gives a :+fate to your damage flips for each ram. Nice cheateable damage flips for Mancha!

I'd like to hear more personal opinions too in these posts, when do you take him, why, how do you play him? Also I think Fingers would be a cool model to cover, because he's one I don't see often and I basically never take him.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Dogmantra said:

I'd like to hear more personal opinions too in these posts, when do you take him, why, how do you play him?

Agreed! Listing his capabilities is all well and good but OTOH you can just read his card. The most interesting part is how you use him and how you mitigate his problems. For example, you mention that you like him with Mah since you can get to Ml 8. Well, both the Chores +1Ml and his 1000Masks +1Ml require Rams. Also, Mah likes to discard cards. So if you have Trixie to cheat ini with, you might be discarding two Rams per turn as well as a card for Mah. That's half your hand! And it requires you to hold two Rams, one of which you use to cheat ini and one which you discard so usually a high Rams and a low Rams. How do you deal with all that? And so on.

58 minutes ago, Dogmantra said:

Also I think Fingers would be a cool model to cover, because he's one I don't see often and I basically never take him.

Never take him? Sheesh. He's insanely good! I mean, sure, really expensive, but he always delivers, basically. He is absolutely blazing fast, messes up enemy Schemes utterly and can perform yours trivially. Superb in Headhunter, for example. If you can do what you set out to do using cheaper models, great! But if you can't, then he's your Gremlin.

Thanks guys! The idea for these blog posts though was more to give an overview of the model - I could spend the time listing why I take each model but as it stands I've not had enough games under my belt with the new schemes to have picked go to models for each yet. So I tried to keep it reasonably general :) But I may well revisit this series later in the year when I've played more games and have figured out how I tend to use each model.

As for keeping Mancha alive, I don't know if I've just been insanely lucky the last 2 games but he barely took a wound. I've lost him a couple of times, for example he was killed off against Seamus but only after taking the Rogue Necro down from full wounds to dead in 1 activation which was where I began to get an inkling that this guy was a bit useful!

I really like to play mancha in my melee beatdown style crews alongside francois and burt. They are quite potent together, I either play them with Somer to hand out rams (crit for burt, + damage for mancha, and if I remember right extra attacks from trixie). Other master he is good with is Wong with an other model being magical. He can put the enemy on - flips for def for magical mctavish or burt to finish off the models.

I think he isn't your usual beater, you can't expect him to tank the enemy (maybe used his taunt abiluty once this far), but he is a gremlin afterall, none of them can take a beating.

Here is what I think are his pros / cons:

PROs:

- huge threat range of 13" if positioned well, on more open maps it is a huge worry for the enemy

- awesome triggers, especially ram (+ flip for damage) and book (- flip for defence for the enemy)

- great buffs from 0 action, I think def 7 is the best since attack 6 is more than enough to land hits, but immunity to paralyze is awesome against selected enemies. +Wk is probably for turn 1 or last minute scheme placement.

- can carry Mud toss, but since he won't live too long and likes to charge around from his 2 aps it's not the best fit

CONs:

- No real survivability -> as I said I like +def on him and when I play melee beatdown I use almost all my SS to keep my henchmens alive since gremlin masters are quite good in surviving (Somer/Wong) or staying away from the action

- very easy to overextend with him due to huge charge -> try to charge in after the enemy activated most of his figures and try to grab initiative with trixie to get +def and attack again.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...