30 point Gremlins vs. Gremlins Malipho'enix League

thecapopriest

P2120143_zps5vvbp3bq.jpg

This was a Gremlins vs. Gremlins game played last Friday at Empire Games for the malipho'enix league. The deployment style was standard and we used the Gaining Grounds 2016 strategy and schemes. 

The strategy was Gaurd the Stash and the schemes where: Convict Labor, Set Up, Frame for Murder, Exhaust Their Forces, and Show of Force. 

My list was Somer with Encouragement, Fingers, Mancha Roja with Extra Gremlin, and Merris Lacroix.

My opponents list was Ulix with Husbandry, Dirty Cheater, and Hunting Bow, Slop Hauler, Old Major with Corn Husks and Saddle, and Merris Lacroix.

I forgot to take a picture before the first activation but all that should be different is Merris Lacroix should be back at the scheme marker on the right.

I won deployment and decided to have my opponent choose sides and deploy first. On the picture it is the Slop Hauler in the far left than Merris Lacroix up front than Old Major in front of Ulix who is in the far back.

Merris activates, goes reckless, drops a scheme marker, then walks. She then uses her zero action to drop a second scheme marker and walks up to the wall.

P2120147_zpsfs3nfe3a.jpg

My Deployment was, from left to right, Somer, Mancha Roja, Fingers, Merris Lacroix.

P2120155_zpszfiji1fb.jpg

My Merris activates and double walks up to the fountain in the middle of the board.

P2120158_zpshvg28rjv.jpg

Ulix activates and drops a scheme marker so he can then use all three scheme markers within 4 inches of him to summon a Warpig. Then he summons a piglet from Old Major.

P2120160_zps474bhhrd.jpg

Mancha Roja used One Thousand masks 0 action and discarded a mask card to get +2 walk for the rest of his activation and double walked to 50mm stash marker getting base to base with it. 

This will give Mancha Roja the ability to Rebound off of the impassable marker to get a 12 inch charge, making his threat range a massive 13 inches.

P2120162_zpsrvsirdu9.jpg

The Piglet that was summoned used his zero action to place a scheme marker then walked towards Merris.

P2120165_zps83hm92qy.jpg

Fingers goes Reckless, double walks towards the stash marker, then realizing that I didn't want to use my 3rd action point I just healed the point of damage on Fingers.

P2120167_zpsa0pjkjac.jpg

Slop Hauler goes Reckless then heals himself, Old Major, Ulix and the War Pig with Feed the Piggies action, then walks forward.

P2120168_zpsvtnw3dws.jpg

Somer Double walks then discards a card for Defensive Stance.

P2120171_zpshov9ja2l.jpg

The Summoned War Pig walks forward.

My crew is finished with their activation's so Old Major Activates and walks forward, Ulix hitches a ride to move with him and the Slop Hauler gets saddled to move with him.

At this point my opponent is measuring to see if there is any place on the board that he could move to and stay out of Mancha Roja's charge range. He would have to keep his guys way to far back and not be able to viably score on the strategy. On average with Ulix he should be able to survive an assault by Mancha Roja, unless of course I get Really Lucky...

P2120178_zpsheunpvdr.jpg

Beginning of turn 2 I win initiative. 

I activate Mancha Roja and use his 0 action One Thousand Masks and discard a ram card to gain +1 melee for the rest of the turn. I then charge Ulix. Ulix has a defense of 6 base +1 for having a pig within 2 inches (Old Major). My first attack hits and does weak damage for 2. Second attack hit again and did moderate damage, even though I was at a double Negative for being within 5 and Impossible to Wound on Ulix, doing 5 damage that Ulix soulstoned to reduce. Then the third attack I hit Again at a tie, so I was at a triple negative and I draw the Red Joker doing 8 damage and killing Ulix. 

Definitely luck was on my side for that play. My original intent with that play was to make Ulix be to damaged to comfortably summon another War Pig onto the board, I had no expectation to kill him and that was just crazy lucky.

P2120181_zpsz3dt6vhi.jpg

Old Major activates and uses Nudge Them On on the War Pig to push him 4 inches. He then attacked Mancha Roja doing 4 damage which I soulstoned down to 1 damage.

P2120184_zpsgsghb2wp.jpg

Somer Focused and shot at Merris missing her. Then he went Defensive Stance.

P2120186_zps06trjnaw.jpg

War Pig charged Mancha Roja gaining plus flips for his attack and Damage on the charge attacks due to activating within 4 inches of Old Major. From the three attacks the War Pig did a total of 4 more points of damage to Mancha Roja.

Merris activates and goes Reckless. She walks up and shoots at the Slop Hauler twice, hitting once and giving him burning +3.

P2120189_zpsomajcosl.jpg

Merris activates and goes Reckless. Walks forward and drops a scheme marker, then walks again and drops another scheme marker with her 0 action Bombs Away.

P2120191_zpssm0iucar.jpg

Fingers activates, heals Merris then walks forward.

P2120192_zpsoadwwudy.jpg

Piglet activates, focuses then charges Mancha Roja.

P2120196_zpsyxvno0jt.jpg

Slop Hauler activates and charges Fingers. First attack does 3 damage to fingers and second attack misses.

End of turn 2 we both score a point for having at least one non peon model within 2 inches of the stash markers.

P2120198_zpscrthhoku.jpg

Beginning of the 3rd turn I win initiative and activate Mancha Roja. 

Due to the Piglets attack triger, Grab On, Mancha Roja was slow. I used his 2 action point action and did Whacked With a Gremlin hoping to get the ram trigger so I could attack Old Major twice. I hit but didn't get the trigger, but on the damage flip I got... The Red Joker Again Doing 11 Damage! 

This is where it's just crazy lucky, on the two most critical models of my opponents army I just happen to get the Red Joker on both of them for damage, killing them both. At this point I'm suspecting myself of cheating, this king of luck is very suspect...

Piglet activates, attacks Mancha Roja twice and misses both times.

P2120204_zpshwsjllyt.jpg

Somer Charges Merris and kills her with the first attack with severe damage, then gains burning plus 4 due to her explosive demise. Last action Somer does nothing with.

P2120208_zpsfglsnch7.jpg

Slop Hauler activates and goes Reckless. Attacks Fingers 3 times and drops Fingers down to 3 health left.

Fingers activates goes Reckless. For 2 action points he gives exhausted to the Slop Hauler then heals himself.

P2120211_zpspqugridy.jpg

War Pig activates and attacks Mancha Roja doing 2 points of damage but getting the trigger Grab On, giving Mancha Roja Slow but having to end his activation.

Merris activates and does Defensive Stance +2.

End of turn 3, I score 1 point for Guard The Stash and 1 point for Exhaust Their Forces. Somer takes 4 damage for Burning +4.

P2120212_zpsf7allmbv.jpg

Start of turn 4 I win initiative again, giving me initiative on every turn this game, the luck just will not stop flowing my way. 

Mancha Roja is Slow so does his 2 action point attack to the War Pig Whacked With A Gremlin, hitting and doing 6 damage.

Piglet activates and moves then attacks Mancha Roja dropping him to 1 health left.

Fingers went Reckless and put exhausted on the Slop Hauler for 1 action point then healed himself twice.

War Pig activates and attacks Mancha Roja twice missing twice.

Merris activates and goes Defensive Stance +2.

P2120216_zpshdm6yibt.jpg

Somer activates moves forward and goes Defensive +2.

End of turn 4 I score 1 point for Gaurd The Stash.

P2120217_zpsedpqxgxn.jpg

Turn 5 finally my opponent wins initiative and activates the War Pig and kills Mancha Roja on his second attack. I score 1 point for Mancha Roja was my sucker for Frame For Murder.

Somer activates Focuses and shoots the Piglet missing. Somer did not use his last action point.

Piglet charges Fingers and Fingers gets... The Red Joker, declaring Loudest Squeel and pushing out of melee range for the Piglets second attack.

Merris activated Focused and shot the Piglet doing burning +3.

Fingers then activated, healed himself and moved up.

P2120220_zpsl2p6byjv.jpg

End of turn 5, Piglet dies from Burning, I score 1 point from Frame For Murder and 1 point for Gaurd the Stash.

Final Score was 6 to 1.

Overall luck was the biggest factor for me winning this game. If you look at the game critically this game primarily ended up being Mancha Roja (which is a 10 point model) vs. Ulix, Old Major, War Pig, and a Piglet
(worth 31 points without including the Master as actually being worth points, if we went that route it would be 40 points worth of models) and Mancha Roja, all by his lonesome with no support, came out on top.

Mancha Roja is not meant to be a tar pit as well as a beat stick. In a normal game I expect to shoot him downfield and deal a lot of damage then quickly die from the retaliation, this was just a fluke.

Thanks for reading my battle report, I am open to any suggestions to help me make higher quality reports.

P2120222_zpstgbstgih.jpg

• Like 2

Hooray, Gremlins won! I was totally rooting for them, too!

You certainly had Fate on your side with the Red Joker damage flips! But OTOH a Summoner like Ulix is extremely powerful in such small games so you were certainly the underdog going in.

Oh, remember that you can take an Interact to lower Burning.

Also, on the last round you shot the Piglet once with Somer, why not twice?