New to Malifaux just a few questions on things that i wander?

BELPHEGOR

Question

Hello, I have just picked up some models this weekend and almost ready for battling, I kind of understand some of the basics but here is a few things that I want to know:

is the round ended after all models have been activated as in walking of is it only after combat that the round ends?

if charging does that use ap or is it the attack which follows that does?

how does will power work?

these are a few of the questions I am wandering but i am sure there is many more but there are what I can think of right now, the set I brought is 'take back the night' any additional information/tips would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Ray

6 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, BELPHEGOR said:

is the round ended after all models have been activated as in walking of is it only after combat that the round ends?

When a model activates, it spends all of its action points in one go, which it can spend on walking or attacking or any other actions. The turn ends once each model has done so once, regardless of who was involved in combat.

4 minutes ago, BELPHEGOR said:

if charging does that use ap or is it the attack which follows that does?

The charge costs the action points to declare, and it normally costs 2. The attacks are caused by the charge action and are taken without needing to spend action points.

5 minutes ago, BELPHEGOR said:

how does will power work?

Willpower is a defensive stat just like Defense. An attack will list which defense it targets in the action, for example (Ml5 / Rst: Df / Rg :melee2). The "Rst: Df" tells you that it is opposed by the Defense stat. If it was Rst: Wp instead, a model would use their Willpower to defend against it instead of their Defense. Sometimes attacks can also target other stats, but Df and Wp are the most common.

Welcome to Malifaux :)

• Like 1

The turn ends when all models have activated and spent all of their ap. Doesn't matter how it's spent  (walking, shooting, fighting, tactical actions etc.)

A charge (usually, some models may charge using only 1 ap) cost to AP but allows the charging to make two 1 ap ml actions for free.

Willpower is mostly used for defending against attack targeting willpower, much like df is used for defending against attacks targeting df...

• Like 1

Technically, you do that at the start of the next turn, but yes after you have resolved everything that happens at the end of turn (e.g. conditions), then you start the next turn where you can trade in cards. Bear in mind you reshuffle your discard pile back into your deck before you discard any cards from your hand - it can be helpful if you have lots of low cards because they start the turn in your discard pile. Then you draw back up to 6 cards, and from there you flip initiative and start from the same position.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BELPHEGOR said:

I understand:) thank you very much for your answers, they are really helpful, just to add about the turn ending, is that when you can trade your cheat cards if you would like? And then you begin the next turn from the current positions

It's actually at the beginning of the turn.  1) You shuffle your deck and discard pile(Hand stays separate!)

2) Allow your opponent to cut your deck 

3) Discard as many cards as you want.

4) Draw back to 6.

• Like 1