Hiring outside of faction

Kobayashi

Question

Since I am not sure on this one;

some masters can hire outside of faction;

i.e. Colette can hire any showgirl; Jack Daw any tormented; Von Schill [probably] anything Freikorps, Brew-Master (with upgrade) Tri-Chi models. If I do hire out of faction, do I pay one additional soulstones, like hiring mercs; or do those abilities override the +1 SS, even if it is a merc?

4 answers to this question

If you have a rule which allows you to hire a model without using the Mercenary rule, then you hire the model without using the Mercenary rule.

If you have to use the Mercenary rule to hire the model, then you're subject to the restrictions (and additional soul stone cost) for that model.

In other words, Colette hires an Oiran she pays 5SS to do so (and could hire as many as she wants), while Ramos pays 6SS and can only hire two.

Edit:  The rules quote:

A Crew may hire up to two Mercenary models from another Faction than its own, but must pay one additional Soulstone to hire the model. If the model could be hired by the Crew regardless of the Mercenary characteristic, the additional Soulstone does not need to be paid and the model does not count against the Crew's Mercenary limit.

The part in red is why Colette doesn't pay extra for the mercenary Showgirl model, unless you have some really bizarre scheme reason for wanting a more expensive model.

Edit:  Disclaimer:  This was all written taking for granted (i.e. not double checking her card) that Colette is able to hire showgirls regardless of faction.  But I did at least look at Oiran's card to see that it is a mercenary Showgirl.  :mellow:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kobayashi said:

Thanks, I was just confused, since I read a thread about Colette and the Oiran came up and somebody said, that Colette would pay the Merc tax for the Oiran, which confused me heavily.

That elevates my fear. Thank you :)

Colette does not have a rule that lets her hire any Showgirl. So if she wants to field Oiran she have to pay the mercenary cost.

3 minutes ago, Bengt said:

Colette does not have a rule that lets her hire any Showgirl. So if she wants to field Oiran she have to pay the mercenary cost.

Oh I have misread that, than... maybe it was me looking at Jack Daw first and than at Collette that tricked me into this... gonna reread that :).