Ill Omens, Seize the Day, etc While Buried

Saracenar

Question

Hey guys, this came up in a game recently. I was facing Dreamer and he had the upgrade that allows him to draw and then discard three cards instead of two when burning a stone for cards after drawing a control hand.

If Dreamer is buried when drawing a control hand, if the controlling player burns a stone for cards, do they still benefit from the upgrade? Likewise, for other models like the Doppelgänger with Ill Omens still allow the player to cheat the initiative flip while buried?

None of these upgrades make references to requiring the model to be in play, like for instance, Arcane Reservoir does, and being buried means you are not considered as in play for effects that refer. So in the game I was playing, I ruled that the player could still make use of the increased draw from the upgrade while Dreamer was buried.

Thanks!

2 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Dogmantra said:

No citation so I could be wrong but I'm fairly sure a model needs to be in play to make use of its abilities, since you can't use abilities when killed or sacrificed.

Counter example on Killjoy:

Blood Sacrifice: This model may begin the game buried. When a model in this Crew is killed or sacrificed, this model may unbury in base contact with the model before it is removed.

Being buried isn't quite the same as being removed from play.  Likewise, there are abilities like the Scion of the Void's Whispers from the Nothing which start with the phrase "While this model is buried, ..."

Abilities that don't work while a model is buried are supposed to state that they only work while in play.  From Buried:

These models do not count as "in play" for the purposes of other rules that reference whether or not a model is in play.

The Dead and Buried rules prohibit a specific subset of abilities:

It is possible for models to be killed while they are buried, albeit somewhat rarely. If a model that is buried is killed, it will not benefit from any abilities that happen on the model's death (like Finish the Job).

in addition to the prohibition against declaring triggers while buried.