Brutal Emissary and Frank-in-a-Box

Dogsplosion

Brutal Emissary is a monster, but so far I think it's Sonnia and Perdita who are interesting to pair with him (being the two strongest in their own right IMO, though I admit I don't give LJ enough play time so I can't say much about her).  The Hoffman trick is cute but not really very good, because it's telegraphed and way too easy to block, etc.

And in my experience, it's good ol' Francisco Ortega who works best with the Emissary (in either crew).  Cisco gives "El Mayor" to Emissary (or Master if you really are worried about turn 1 hits to your master, which I'm usually not), then he walks, Hermanos de' Armas the Master or the Emissary up field (if you have it... some builds Frank does, others not).  Emissary can then box Cisco and walk, or walk then box if he didn't get pushed up, or box and shoot Cisco's 12" Sh6 gun.  

After that, and for all of Turn 2 Emissary is Df8/Wp7, and can Enfrentate a Mi anyone who rushes too close, then chop once with Cisco's sword, then unbox Cisco who chains and flurries.  That's as hitty an activation as is needed to take out almost anything reliably, and Emissary can wait to activate because he's a Df8/Wp7 hard-to-kill model.  And if needed, it can jump 7"+ twice (jumping from enemy1 to enemy2), then unload Cisco for flurry instead (or if you REALLY want to get a model engaged, of course Cisco can then jump, too).  

Anyway that's just the tip of the iceberg and of course there are other cool things (like Diestro on Cisco and Circular on Emissary and both of them in the middle of the enemy crew with Dita raining in shots) but I think the two of these guys together are just awesome and synergistic and flexible and all sorts of great, perhaps the greatest of which is that Cisco is usually buried until he chain-activates, and usually can be placed within 2" of his target for a flurry if needed.  

Plus with Sonnia the Emissary can 0 action light something on fire before everyone takes it down and Sonnia gets a Stalker.  On Dita he turns her into an Obey-asaurus.  But I really think the Emissary's 0-action is gravy, and that his real power is in boxing something with awesome 1 actions like Cisco, protecting a valuable model from harm, and hopefully boxing something with Companion so that he can unbox-and-go if needed.  That leads me to think Cisco is like, the best one to put in that box!

1, cut a hole in a box, 2, put your Frank in that box, 3, Brutal opens the box, and that's how you Frank-in-a-Box!

Edited by Dogsplosion
trying to fix font color!
  • Like 1

The problem I always have with Frank-in-a-box is holding almost 20% of your crew out of the game for multiple turns.  But with the Emissary's bury only lasting one and the potential for shenanigans, I support this.

My thoughts exactly.  Losing activations on Francisco hurts the crew a lot, but in this case, b/c you're forced to unbury him, he's utilized a lot more.  That said, the fact that the Emissary can copy any of his (1) actions makes it the best choice.

Yes using Abuela or Perdita or Hoffman to change up the timing on the unbury is good stuff, too!  If you need 5 or 6 of Francisco's Ml7 attacks in one turn and haven't boxed him yet, you can Obey him into the box, Obey Emissary to attack, then activate, attack attack, unbury, chain, flurry!  

I just have more practice with Sonnia and haven't had points in my recent games to fit Abuela, and I've found that the turn 1 bury, turn 2 (usually at the end) unbury is good enough!

• Like 1