NOT another "what paint is the best?" thread

MrG

As I moved to the european side of the pond, I had to sell all my colors, brushes, airbrush etc... Back to square one, it is though but it offers a fresh start.

I would like to get back to this (costly) hobby, but this time I would like some feedback before I commit to purchases. My previous experience was with Vallejo Model Colors, Vallejo Primers and Neo Iwata Airbrush (just a starter one since I've never had any experience) used more for priming/basecoating/basing and basic/mid level brushes.

PROS with what I had: Nice range of colors, Solid primers, cheap airbrush to get "the job done"
CONS with what I had: Colors needed to be shaken a lot due to separation, problems of consistency when tinning colors for the airbrush, airbrush not always consistent when spraying (easily clogged/dried paint even after thinning).

I am a newbie and I recognize I absolutely need more painting practice but having worked for years as assistant photographer/graphic designer I have a good knowledge about color theory and such. In my (little) painting experience I prefer paints that have a matte finish (I really don't like shiny miniatures) but I would like to have some feedback from you awesome painters on what types/brands you use and why you chose it:

What paints do you use and why did you choose them? What are their pros and cons?
What primer and why?
What washes/pigments?
What airbrush if you have one? (I was thinking about the H&S Evolution that is a step up form the Neo Iwata but still not as expensive as the professional ones)

Thanks!

Thinned paints, on a wet palette, are the best paints.  :)  (If you're being fancy and using a brush, that is.)

The important thing to remember is that those "fast to dry out" paints like GW paints are that way because they chose a relative fast drying liquid to mix the paint particles.  That's nice for when you're trying to just get a bunch of models painted and don't want to wait forever for the paint to dry, but less nice when you're doing fancy blending.

Edited by solkan

I do have some GW paints, but mostly I only use them for their washes, which are excellent. Otherwise their paints aren't bad, but not my favorite either, and they are definately overpriced. Actual paints Vallejo are wonderful paints, and I also quite like some of the P3 paints. I use the P3 primers, and especially their blues are great to me, but some other hues as well.