Greetings from Orlando, FL

BewareTheYalcrab

Hey!

So, I'm going to be running Malifaux at the Coliseum of Comics (Fashion Square Mall location) starting in April, and I thought it'd be a good opportunity for me to see how the online community is.  So far, I've found a lot of useful information.

I'm still learning the game (and have yet to play yet :huh: , although I'm running through a test-game this Monday).   We run a pretty decent group of about 8-12 players for Warhammer 40K, but some of them had been itching for something different and a little easier on the wallet.   Although we didn't carry it at the time, I started looking into Malifaux and the backstory really intrigued me.  After stocking some available crew boxes and getting some books, I explained the general concepts to some of the players and without playing or demoing a single game, I've got 4 other players who have already bought their first crew boxes and rulebooks and are raring to go.

We're planning on running a few demo games for the first month before getting heavily into tournaments.  It'll allow all of us to get used to the rules, suss some things out, and get our models ship shape.  It was the same case for 40K about 2 years ago and that's been working out pretty well for us.

If anyone out there has any tips or things to avoid based on experience, I'd be glad to hear them.  I've gone through the rulebook once and have been making my way through Crossroads.  I'm not overly worried about running games, but am just interested in what anyone is willing to share

Thanks!

Hello. And welcome to Malifaux.

I am actually a registered Henchman who runs events at the Coliseum of Comics in Kissimmee (we should really play some time).

One tip I would suggest is to find a faction that you like as a whole rather than just a specific character (though that is okay for just starting out), as the mission structure rewards having a larger toolbox. Also, lower point games are easier for learning the game with, but power balance can be shifted heavily in favor of summoner masters, so keep that in mind.

As someone who has run WH40K and WH Fantasy tourneys for years, running a Malifaux tournament (when you guys make it that far) by comparison is a breeze and a blast. Far less prep time, far less paper work, much easier to do pairings, and I feel the game itself leads to a more lax environment.

If any of you can make it, I am running an event on April 4th. It is just a friendly get together and demos will be had. Details can be found here:

http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/107274-malifaux-day-april-4th-kississimmee-fl/

In fact I try to make sure one event gets run on the first Saturday of each month.

I have also posted on the Coliseums actual forums, however those seem to be under complete siege by spam bots currently... (no seriously, for you guys that have been bothered by the spam here, it is nothing compared to my LGS board right now :( ).

Thanks for the tips!

I had been suggesting the same things for my players as they were deciding on crews. From what I could tell in the book, it seemed that factions generally had similar play styles, but all the masters were different enough to keep things interesting.

I wanted to take a trip down to Kissimmee, but unfortunately I work Saturdays.  A few players in the area had mentioned that it was difficult to make it down there, so that's why we also settled on that day for games.

Once I get into the swing of things, I definitely wanted to get registered as a Henchman.  So far, I've enjoyed everything I've seen out of this game and company.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Welcome to Malifaux. I live in the Orlando area and have played off and on since the game started. Kissimmee is over 100 miles of toll road round trip for me so I don't get down that way though.

Well, you're always welcome to come into the Fashion Square location on Saturdays if you'd like to meet some new players.

As far as our Kissimmee location, if you're fine with tons of traffic, I'd just suggest taking I-4 West to Vineland, and then taking that to 192.  Turn left and they aren't too far down on your left after that.  I don't know the exact mileage, but at least you'd avoid tolls.