Terrain?

Jacks

I got a lot of the GaleForce9 prepainted sets, because I'm lazy. I have some old Mordheim buildings and some of the PlastCraft Malifaux range. I also have a gaming mat, and a lot of small wall sections from Puppetswar.

I once backed an indiegogo project for Western terrain, but that grinded to a halt, supposedly due to some human tragedy. Pity, because it looked really promising. I still hope to hear from them some day.

Personally, I use whatever I can collect. Best value for money for non-buildings would be a combination of Games Workshop's Garden of Morr and Walls & Fences boxes. For $75 you get an entire table's worth of graveyard and wall terrain. 

An entire table's worth for Warhammer, maybe. I'd advise to get a lot more terrain for a balanced game of Malifaux. (Subjectively) Most of the questions about the game's balance are asked by people facing a ranged crew on an empty table.

And by empty, I mean not completely stuffed with terrain. At least a quarter, but better a third, of the table should be covered in terrain, and I much prefer lots of small pieces to giant towers or hills. Thus my emphasis of wall sections.

I have to second the Garden of Morr. It gives a few buildings and walls. It is pretty good for Malifaux. You still need more terrain than that though. I recently got some plasticraft scatter terrain, and they seem to be in a good place.

Small buildings/statues and forests are also nice to have.

I like building my own--although I suck at it.  

If not, you can build, pick up odds-n-ends on sale, use kids toys, or other random stuff.  

I put my first year's budget into models and paints so I have used books, blocks of wood, and felt cut-outs as terrain.  Doesn't look great, but it works.