If you could be anybody....

zFiend - depends on the board mostly - if you can get into melee with them quickly I don't feel a difference. Perdita is a bad matchup for sure but any others aren't too bad. Daw is a very quick crew.

Just so happens that any scheme/strat pool that would be good for a killy shooty crew to take would not be a good one for Daw to take so if you are optimising your play you probably won't be seeing crews like that. I'm not a person who takes a "take all comers" crew and calls it good enough. Daw has his place.

Wow... They've derailed my thread with some sort of serious topic. What's going on?!

zFiend - depends on the board mostly - if you can get into melee with them quickly I don't feel a difference. Perdita is a bad matchup for sure but any others aren't too bad. Daw is a very quick crew.

Just so happens that any scheme/strat pool that would be good for a killy shooty crew to take would not be a good one for Daw to take so if you are optimising your play you probably won't be seeing crews like that. I'm not a person who takes a "take all comers" crew and calls it good enough. Daw has his place.

That's a good point. One of our guys in the meta has started playing Jack Daw, he is still getting the hang of him but Jack sure has some nasty tricks up his sleeve. The Curses are a pain. How about Gremlins? I think they are pretty bad matchup for Daw. Especially Ophelia, that crew is fast and killy enough to counter them with some painful damage tracks. 

I get that, playing the game as it's supposed to be played, taking the master to fit the upcoming game is the right way to go. Usually we play it with our group that we usually know who's running with who but we won't build counters to that specific crew. 

But we were talking about Jack Daw just yesterday and we didn't quite get what makes him so bad as to make the opponent rage quit, so thanks for clarifying that. What would be your go to guys for Jack? Our guy doesn't use Hanged's or Nurses, which is a huge loss, especially the Nurses, they should be in every crew that can take them. :D I think he prefers Hannah, Guilties and Librarian as his core.

Seriously? Now you're selling out to the Bayou and going Gremlin?! HOW COULD YOU?!

*Runs out, arms flailing*

Yeah Dirial! How could you sell out like that! Damn Dirial.. Damn! 

Ahem.. So yeah! I'm with MD here. Man I never would have thought of you.

zFiend - Daw requires excellent knowledge and ability in pretty much all aspects of the game and more than any other master - you really have to know what your opponent's crew can do and how to counter it. IMO you need significantly more catering to be effective as well - he is the most finesse oriented master in the game from what I can tell, bar none. I would never run JD in a strat that he isn't particulrly strong at and I rarely run JD unless I know exactly what master my opponent will play.

Your core crew is literally:

JD

Guiltyx2

Nurse

(maybe LL but I've been moving much more towards the Malifaux Child lately as I run particularly strong discard builds and find no cheating redundant - Child to JD is like Student to Viks - anyone can use it but JD uses it best)

Anything else in your crew will probably change considerably depending on matchup.

Actually, I would have to say that JD might be the Outcast answer to Gremlins - he is really fast so he can keep up with them and bringing a crew heavy on the fear duels to exploit their typically low WP is super effective. Go fear heavy and bring Ama No Zako and you'll have the upperhand. If you are playing a "summoner" strat like Recon or Interference or even Turf War to some extent, the JD answer to that problem is to not play JD and play Levy instead ;)

Also, I would put alot of emphasis on reactive gameplay - you want to counter your opponent - so if you're a particualrly aggressive player JD won't be for you. You want to completely limit your opponent's options and (this is the important part that most people forget) bait them with what you want them to do (ex. locking a crew down except for the killy master, which is strange except that you rushed the master with a crooked or drowned for an easy spring trap with last whisper).

I probably should have just PM'd you this - sorry for the offtopic - if you want more info like typical crew builds for particular matchups or an assortment of cheesy tactics PM me. :) HatefulDarkblack is fond of Daw and he knows alot too,

TL;DR:

Remember:

Step One: Torment and Curse Everything (EVERYTHING!)

Step Two: Discard Opponent's Hand

Step Three: Scheme Markers and Assorted Scheme Marker Tomfoolery.

Step Four: ???

Step Five: PROFIT!

• Like 1

Hahaha yeah, seriously, no need to apologize for going off topic with us 3. We are the Masters of Derailment. The paradigm is currently that Dirial is the Master of our crew whilst I perform the Henchmanly duties for him and zFiend being a dirty little rezzer fills the spot of our Insignificant Peon Totem :D. We are currently recruiting minions to flesh out the ranks of our crazy little crew. 

Hahahahaha.

I am still trying to recall this vote. It's not going all that well.

Thanks spectre for a great rundown, I will send you a pm later today. You got me very interested in Jack Daw to a point I now regret I gave my metal Daw away to a friend because I thought I wouldn't need it. :D

What would his ss cost be? I'm thinking 2ss?

That Derail Thread ability is near useless but good for laughs. Recruit for Ressers is a trap in my opinion. With his stats I don't think more than 2 SS are warranted, even if Filth Mongering is kinda good. For a Peon.

• Like 2

That Derail Thread ability is near useless but good for laughs. Recruit for Ressers is a trap in my opinion. With his stats I don't think more than 2 SS are warranted, even if Filth Mongering is kinda good. For a Peon.

Hahahahaahaha.

That is amazing.

You did forget my personal upgrade. "Wrathful Bitterness" gives me a (1) action "The Guild Be Gone.." resisted with Common Sense. :P

• Like 1

You did forget my personal upgrade. "Wrathful Bitterness" gives me a (1) action "The Guild Be Gone.." resisted with Common Sense. :P

And it's on an upgrade, so you cannot take it when playing Guild yourself. Of course, usually Peons cannot take upgrades, but the Selective Memory ability lets you take that special one. Right?

• Like 1

And it's on an upgrade, so you cannot take it when playing Guild yourself. Of course, usually Peons cannot take upgrades, but the Selective Memory ability lets you take that special one. Right?

Yeah. Exactly. Also it allows me for a (0) Action "Eat your own words.." This model gains the Hypocrite condition: this models controller may sometimes play the Guild faction.

• Like 2

Hahahahaahaha.

That is amazing.

Yeah. Exactly. Also it allows me for a (0) Action "Eat your own words.." This model gains the Hypocrite condition: this models controller may sometimes play the Guild faction.

OH... MY... GOD... WHAT HAVE I STARTED?! :D

Do you know how much Wp it takes not to buy anything but Guild? There is a simple duel for that every time Wyrd shows a preview or I look at any page in the big books.

I suspect a fair amount but given you want to be Mei Feng and / or a Moon Shinobi I can't put much stock in this comment  :P