mixing without looking weird?

Jewomie

So, I went back to the drawing board a little bit over the weekend. Tying to think of something new and inspiring. Didn't work a whole lot. :P

I do think I am going to skip the transparent bases for most of the crew. I thought it would look sharp to have the masters on Orange bases, and the rest of the crew remain on black ones. That way my master is easily identifiable. and I can survey the field quickly and efficiently...

course that also means my opponent can. However, Misaki's weapon and McCabe's horse make them tough to hid anyway. Yan Lo is really the only one benefitting from not being a little over the top... and he has the smallest pool of models the way I tend to run him. Since he isn't the one in huge hulking armor, the walking entrails, or the zombie with the guts... he sticks out in his own way.

Anyway, this also allows me to see the orange bases on a table without committing to ordering 40+ bases all at once.

I need to figure something out for Misaki's base. I want it to be a little bigger at the bottom, or at least have some overhang to try and brace her weapon. It's starting to get a little bent in my foam case.

Most of 10T fits pretty well on an Asian theme base in general.  The outliers in my mind are really Lynch and McCabe, who feel like they want to be a little more western or urban themed.  This definitely extends to their crews along with Mei's crew I suppose.  I like the idea of consistent basing, but at the same time, there are models in every faction that just aren't going to fit no matter what the theme is.  My Arcanist stuff is all on a rocky, mineshaft looking kind of theme that works for 90% of the faction, but the Showgirls would still look silly on it.  I haven't found a great solution that doesn't involve generic grassy fields.  I think my favorite answer is probably going to be strong crew themes and clashing when clashing occurs unfortunately.  Of all things, I have to say I find Sidir by far the most vexing, maybe the Pathfinder as well.

So, the stuff is coming along nicely. Slowly, but hey, that's a ton of models to work on basing at once... haha.

anyway, Vorschlag mentioned using lotus blossoms on the bases. (or even cherry blossoms since that is kind of a theme in the paint scheme anyway.)

Do any of you know where I could get something to make that happen? or am I looking at probably having to make it myself? I looked around and didn't find any kind of flock or scatter leaves or anything that could work. I don't mind doing it myself, but I figured I would see if any of you knew where I could store an easy cop out! :P

I did i a miksing of things presented here...

all Asian models receive some sort of Zen themed base

McCabe style adventurey models get ruins

Lynch type models are in a burlesque gambling club that doubles as a senior citizens center that does bingo on the weekends and get that type of basing

and that is all I have going presently "themey" wise,

but Antenocites workshop and micro art bases are my go to if wyrd doesn't have what I want with respect to bases.

all my doods get the magnets but I use a tablewar transport case.......(awesome)

the days of picking foam and the foam attacking my doods is gone forever.....

I have actually dropped the case and models come unglued from the bases before jumping the mag pad.

any whoozer

I ran into a similar problem with my Ten Thunders - in v1 I used other factions primarily, but when I came to M2E, I found that Ten Thunders was the faction I liked most.  Unfortunately none of my crews matched at that point.  Mei Feng was in a junkyard, Jakob was in a city, Misaki was out in the grass, etc.  What I ended up doing was using snow to make all the bases uniform.  So Mei Feng's crew is still in the junkyard, but it's covered with a layer of snow.  Misaki's out in a snowed-over field.  Jakob is on partially-covered snow bases (part of the city streets have been uncovered).  It makes putting all the models together work fine as the snow draws them all together.

I have had to touch up the paint on some of them - bring the colors more into line with each other.  And one of the crews in particular - McCabe - needs a complete rework.  His crew is on desert bases, and I like the way they look too much to make changes, so I'm just going to have to get a second set of that crew to work with.  But everything else looks solid.

• Like 2