Brew and Yu

Dafty

Question

If sensei Yu copys brewmaster drinking contest and brewmaster drinking contest was up an enemy model would need to take 2 wp 12 duels. And if they fail the first one do they still flip for the second duel?

Also what happens if they are nit close enough to brewmaster to take the (1) on the house. Does the action fail or do they still take the original action ?

Also since step 1 is declare intended action. Does drinking contest happen before or after you spend ap.

I don't think there's a rule that addresses this specifically, so the closest thing to a similar situation is other abilities that cause duels while a model is taking an Action:

Sometimes a target will have special Abilities (such as Terrifying) that requires a duel in response to being targeted. These duels are handled now, after AP is spent and targets are declared.

That's clearly not quite the same (Drinking Contest is not "in response to being targeted") but it's probably close enough to work as a stop-gap until a proper FAQ addresses it.

If only the Gremlins had been playtested! :P

What if I use melee/casting expert , nimble. And fail. It's not one of those so is ap wasted.

How bout (0) actions. If I used all my general ap. Try my 0 and fail and now don't have the ap for on the house.

Do I get to keep trying my 0 till I get it?

No I don't expect answers mostly since I don't see any.

What if I use melee/casting expert , nimble. And fail. It's not one of those so is ap wasted.

How bout (0) actions. If I used all my general ap. Try my 0 and fail and now don't have the ap for on the house.

Do I get to keep trying my 0 till I get it?

No I don't expect answers mostly since I don't see any.

You take (1) On the House action. It doesn't matter whether the action you tried to take was (0), (1), (2) or (3) or what ap you spent to use it. On the House doesn't cost any ap in this instance, but the original action did.

Drinking Contest: Until the end of the Turn, enemy models within 3 of this model which declare an Action must succeed on a TN 12 Wp duel or take the (1) On the House Action instead.

That Last word instead means you are taking the (1) Tactical Action.

Which melee expert can not be used to take Tactical actions.

This is an ability forcing you to take an action. Not an action causing action. So no rules really support well anything.

Does it overrule melee expert? Does the action just fail Do to

:"The model also spends the AP required to perform the declared Action. If the model does not have enough AP required for the Action, no AP are spent and the Action is ended without any further effect." From the declare action step.

Does anyone have the answers?

• Like 1

Since the duel should come after spending the AP, I don't really see that as a huge problem - yes, a model with Melee Expert could end up taking four (1) On the House actions during its activation.

But you're absolutely right on "no rules really support well anything". This is just an educated guess on how it's likely to work after an FAQ comes out.

These would be my suggested FAQ questions:

1) Is the (1) On the House Action resulting from a failed Drinking Contest duel a new Action? How is it resolved?

2) What happens when a model which is restricted to taking only certain Actions (such as a model with the Hallucinogens Condition) is forced to take the (1) On the House Action as a result of Drinking Contest?

3) Sensei Yu can copy the (0) Drinking Contest Action from the Brewmaster, but he does not have the Another Round ability which defines the (1) On the House Action. If a model within Yu's Drinking Contest aura fails the duel, what happens?

• Like 1

Vengeance Bullet: When this model declares an Sh Attack Action targeting a model which can use Soulstones, it may discard this Upgrade to make the declared Action deal +2 damage and gain to the duel.

Drinking Contest: Until the end of the Turn, enemy models within 3 of this model which declare an Action must succeed on a TN 12 Wp duel or take the (1) On the House Action instead.

Do I discard my upgrade first or take wp duel first.

Vengeance Bullet: When this model declares an Sh Attack Action targeting a model which can use Soulstones, it may discard this Upgrade to make the declared Action deal +2 damage and gain to the duel.

Do I discard my upgrade first or take wp duel first.

Since it's your model activating and both things happen at the same time you should get to chose the order.

I don't see the issue? On the House replaces the action you're trying to take, you're not declaring to take it, you're taking it instead.

Yep, that's the way I'd play it. It seems the most internally consistent option. Or perhaps more pedantically that failing the duel makes it as though On the House was your original declaration, regardless of AP spent, and you are now resolving it (though the mechanical effect is the same).

Dafty still raises a great point about the timing of discarding upgrades. My instinct would be that you discard the upgrade at the same time as spending AP, but that seems grossly unfair.

The way we have been playing it is that if you cannot take the On The House Action then the AP is wasted

That seems like a solid and fairly balanced idea.