When does a model fall?

Lysis

Question

So i witnessed this in a tournament of mine the other day, and i couldn't find anything that states when a model is affected by terrain in the book.  Specifically, how much of the model's base has to be affected before the terrain trait is applied.  The answer is pretty easy with severe terrain, but what about sheer drops?

I've heard from Vassal that lots of folks play that the severe terrain halves movement when 50% of the base is in terrain.  I've heard some vassal players say that as soon (and as long as) any part of the base is in severe terrain, it is affected.  I could see this being agreed to before a game gets started, and that's fine.  But where the dilemma gets sticky is when we take it to the physical tabletop, and when we consider sheer drops:

How much of a model is allowed to hang off the edge of a wall before that model is forced to fall?

I have seen this happen when people try to skirt auras or melee ranges, but don't want to fall off; thus, their base sticks off the edge 1mm, 2mm, 5mm, half the base? more?  However much the player can balance the model?

Without a ruling from the book, i'd like to hear how you all play it on the tabletop.

6 answers to this question

My understanding with the LOS and cover rules is that cover only applies when the whole base is in the 'covering' terrain - such as woods. I think a Q&A covered that.

On the other hand if moving I apply the severe restrictions as soon as the models base enters the terrain base but tbh I'm new to the game and haven't had any discussions on this with the people I played thus far. How this approach would translate to falling? Interested to hear others opinions on that.