Disengage strike with multiple melee range

Prinnyhero

Question

Hi, I am new to the game and I have the rasputina box and had a question about disengage strikes. Specifically refering to the ice golem and his smash ability which has a range of 1 and icy talon has range of 2.

Smash costs 3 points which means he wont be able to move to do it, so does that mean if I run up to engage something within the 1 inch range, on that models next activation he could just walk a half inch or inch away (staying in my 2 inch range) and not take a disengage strike?

19 answers to this question

Hi, I am new to the game and I have the rasputina box and had a question about disengage strikes. Specifically refering to the ice golem and his smash ability which has a range of 1 and icy talon has range of 2.

Smash costs 3 points which means he wont be able to move to do it, so does that mean if I run up to engage something within the 1 inch range, on that models next activation he could just walk a half inch or inch away (staying in my 2 inch range) and not take a disengage strike?

Yeah you pretty much have it bang on. The enemy model will have to declare a walk action that would make it leave the Ice Golem's Engagement Range before any disengaging strikes are available to the Ice Golem. Therefor if it were to walk so that it was 1.5" away from the Ice Golem it would technically still be engaged because of Icy Talon's 2" range even though it is no longer in range of the 1" Smash attack. You cannot try to make a disengaging strike until the model declares a Walk action that would make it entirely leave engagement range meaning you cannot use Smash to disengage unless the model is within 1" and wants to leave the total 2" engagement range as the space between 1" and 2" is still within the Golem's Engagement range. 

The AP cost of your  :melee attacks do not factor in at all when you are doing disengaging strikes (there is no saving AP or anything like that).

Your engagement range is simply the range of the  :melee attack with the longest range, in this case 2".

So if an enemy model tries to move from inside 2" to outside 2" you get to do a disengaging strike.

• Like 1

So if an enemy model tries to move from inside 2" to outside 2" you get to do a disengaging strike.

Just to be clear, as it's worth repeating: If an enemy model declares a Walk action that would leave the Engagement range. The model would be stopped at the spot if it declared a Walk to leave Engagement range. If you want to be sure to leave the smash range, even if the Disengaging Strike hits, you need two Walk actions.

So in terms of actually being able to use the smash attack, I would pretty much have to have ice golem run up and engage someone within 1 inch who has activated already and hope I get the first activation on the next turn?

Pretty much.  Or find a way to give the Ice Golem extra AP or Reactivate (I don't really know Aracanists so not sure of what could do this).  It is an incredibly powerful attack so it's designed to be difficult to pull off!

• Like 1

Pretty much.  Or find a way to give the Ice Golem extra AP or Reactivate (I don't really know Aracanists so not sure of what could do this).  It is an incredibly powerful attack so it's designed to be difficult to pull off!

Not difficult if you play Ramos... Brass Arachnid can use Stoke to give it Reactivate.  :D Failing that Imbued Energies is always a thing. 

• Like 1

Pretty much exactly that!  It was kind of my own fault for setting him up for an all or nothing attack (had a Ram ready to drop +2Ml on him from a nurse then Accomplice him and push into combat from That's the Stuff) but I lost initiative next turn.  She didn't even have to decency to take both attacks from the charge to finish him off!

In an attempt to bring this back on topic somewhat (!) another thing to remember about disengaging strikes is that engagement goes both ways but you can only make an attack if you are actually in range.  So if model A with a 2" Ml attack and model B with a 1" Ml attack are 2" apart they are both engaged but if model A decides they want to leave the engagement they can do so because model B doesn't have a Ml attack that can reach them.

• Like 1

Also please note that in a game where the central resource are AP's it is not at all a terrible thing to in effect force your opponent to burn AP in order to get away from the Ice Golem's Smash attack while still staying inside the Icy Talon range. You'll also still get 3x Icy Talon attacks if they stay within :melee 2 to avoid the disengage strike so in that case depending on how many times you connect you'll still be looking at anywhere from 0 to 18 (really unlikely, and no Red Joker) damage and on 3 hits with minimum damage (no Black Joker) you'll still get 9 damage. Add in the triggers and I think while its less amusingly spectacular in crushing one punch splatter fun its actually more effective.

• Like 1