Looking to get into the Ten Thunders

Ficho

Hey, I recently started thinking about starting Malifaux and saw that the most important thing is usually deciding on the faction and master you like the most. I am very interested in Misaki but am looking for a second crew that would be good in the match-ups she's bad at. I would be very appreciative if somebody nuged me in the right direction.

Well, all the other currently available TT Masters would do the trick, as Misaki isn't all that match-up dependent. Mei Feng is a face beater, too, so she might not be to your taste, but all the others will do.

Did you find the Wiki already? You can read into the Masters there.

I did read up on individual masters and find it quite difficult to decide which one I like (second) best. I am looking for the crew that has models that mesh well with Misaki and the other way around while still having a different style and I couldn't really get that info from just reading the wiki. I'm not sure if that would be Yan Lo or Lynch while on the other hand having a hard time wraping my head around the Brewmaster.

Well, my experience is limited, as I only play against TT, but....

I would go with Lynch or McCabe. They play radically different from Misaki. Misaki isn't crew dependent, but Illuminated from Lynch's box as just bonkers good, while McCabe can make very good use of Torakage.

Mei Feng's style is not like Misaki's, but she a melee Master, so she might be out. Yan Lo, I cannot tell you much about. Haven't played against him much.

Brewie isn't out yet, so he might be hard to come by.... same for Shenlong.

• 1 month later...

Lynch has heavy reliance on his crews synergy to me really good.

Mai Feng as previously stated is a melee powerhouse and may work with the melee mentality that Misaki has.

Yan Lo is a caster and can summon models.

When picking your second master, you want to pick one that you like the look of as silly as that may sound. You have to paint them and spend a lot of time with them. You can then learn all their tricks and what makes them a special master. IF you don't like the models, you should not get them.

You could also do what I did and get all the masters for my chosen faction (Neverborn).

Good luck to you and your gaming!

As a 10 thunder, Yan Lo only resummons a few particular models if he lost them during the game and took a particular upgrade. 

Mei Feng box set is a good compliment to the Misaki box set. Rail workers are very solid generalist models for 10T, and Kang is amazing. Mei Feng is great for killing lots of small stuff, while Misaki is a missile who will kill a particular model if she sets her mind to it.

When I started with Ten Thunders I got Lynch's box set and then Misaki. I find both masters to be simple in playstyle and Lynch has plenty of variety with how you choose to play him based on his different upgrade options. Additionally, both box sets come with very good models that can be used in either crew to to great affect. Both illuminated as well as the torokage are very solid, well rounded models. 

I might also suggest McCabe as another choice. He gives you plenty of options and would be a nice complement to the minions that you have as well as Ottotto's slow mechanics, should you choose to use him. 

Back in 1.5 I started 10T with Misaki then picked up Yan Lo and later grabbed McCabe. I have yet to actually play a game with Brewmaster, Mei Feng, or Lynch.

in 2.0 Misaki is probably where one should start, but I would immediately pick up McCabe as well. He doesn't need his out of faction models like Yan Lo does. I find Yan has trouble in games where I don't have Ashigaru and punks nearby. McCabe just lives to make your minions better. Doesn't matter if he is giving your archers fast, tossing melee weapons to your low river monks, making your opponent's entire crew slow, he just buffs and debuffs everything he touches.

Because of this, he likes to run with stuff from Misaki's set. I also recommend grabbing some of the 10T units. I love the archers, yamaziko, low river monks, samurai, and Orian. The only downside (for me) is those minion sets contain 3 of the model, and I almost never take 3 of anything. I use them to proxy things like high river monks and the lone swordsman.

While I haven't run with Mei Feng, I know several people around here speak really highly of the rail workers and Kang. So you can't go wrong there. My only hesitation there is that Mei loves her constructs, so the Misaki box isn't as useful to her as her minions are to Misaki.