Battle Report Builder - Comments & Feedback Wanted!

cadianshock

Something that is worth noting is that in malifaux, there are not fixed lists. Lists are made after the strategy and available schemes are determined for any given game (even in organised play), so there typically is not a need to have your list in a saved file for printing and handing out at a game or to submit to a tournament organizer.

It would also be nice to have a multi-select (5) listing of the available schemes in the match setup.  Here is a list of the schemes:

A Line in the Sand
Assassinate
Bodyguard
Breakthrough
Cursed object
Deliver a Message
Distract
Entourage
Frame for Murder
Make Them Suffer
Murder Protégé
Outflank
Plant Evidence
Plant Explosives
Power Ritual
Protect Territory
Spring the Trap
Take Prisoner
Vendetta

Yes, the crew creators for Malifaux typically don't spit out a file, just text to copy. As it stands now, I have to copy the text save it a txt file using notepad, then load the txt file.

Thanks for this and all your other input! Really helpful! The text version of a list I will add soon along with the strategies.

I have made some other changes recently for Malifaux too. 

• Now you only have to select A and B, not primary and secondary all all that extra stuff you don't need
  • You can now select a Master for each team too

It would also be nice to have a multi-select (5) listing of the available schemes in the match setup.  Here is a list of the schemes:

A Line in the Sand
Assassinate
Bodyguard
Breakthrough
Cursed object
Deliver a Message
Distract
Entourage
Frame for Murder
Make Them Suffer
Murder Protégé
Outflank
Plant Evidence
Plant Explosives
Power Ritual
Protect Territory
Spring the Trap
Take Prisoner
Vendetta

These are now added, you can select as many as you need to.

They are not laid out particularly nicely, but it works!

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'm nearly finished with it, I do like this set up.

My only gripe... the crew section. Which you just mentioned you needed to overhaul. I would rather have a text field there where I could just type out what we took, or copy and paste from the crew creator.  Basically exactly what Entropolous said.

Other than that small gripe, this is awesome. I will certainly be using it again!

• Like 1

So, I'm nearly finished with it, I do like this set up.

My only gripe... the crew section. Which you just mentioned you needed to overhaul. I would rather have a text field there where I could just type out what we took, or copy and paste from the crew creator.  Basically exactly what Entropolous said.

Other than that small gripe, this is awesome. I will certainly be using it again!

Boom, boom and double boom.

You are right on, thats the plan. 

It will be either a File, HTML for instance for 40K where things are much more complex and people use Battlescribe or Army Builder apps.

Or for simpler systems like Mali, Warmachine and Infinity a simple input area just like you have for Summary, Background, etc.

Does that help?

Still working on this one but figure I'll publish while in progress so folks can see what it looks like.

http://malifaux.battle.directory/battle-report/resurrectionists-seamus-vs-guild-lucas-mccabe/view-full/88

Thoughts:

• Crew selection isn't a huge nuisance. Just creating a notepad file and uploading works so that's fine. If it gets updated to text entry then all the better.
  • Featured Image is a bit restrictive, as far as being required for publishing. That being said it would be helpful if there was a way to modify/crop/whatever the image once you've uploaded it. It's hard to tell how exactly it will look and unless you're in Full mode it gets cutoff anyways.
  • Is it possible to have another entry field added for selections, VP's etc? I had to indicate VP's and which schemes were chosen/revealed in the Final Summary box but it would be handy to have it as a Detail box down the side like the other selectable sections.

Overall though I have to say this is a fairly simple yet intuitive setup that will help me get my act together with churning out battle reports.

• Like 1

Well, I got the whole thing filled out and hit publish... and it wont let me without a picture. This might be a little restrictive since like this last match, we didn't take any pictures at all. (Something I am going to try to get in the habit of doing mind you, but for now I don't have one.) But it let me sub in the Malifaux logo. That will work for now I suppose! haha.

Overall, I'm quite impressed with this. I never really thought this was something that we needed, but after using it, I think it is insanely helpful!

Here's the link!

http://malifaux.battle.directory/battle-report/ten-thunders-shenlong-vs-outcasts-hamelin/view-full/89

EDIT: after following the link, the picture is cut off on either side. I think maybe we need a way to see if the picture actually fits before publishing?

• Like 2

Well, I got the whole thing filled out and hit publish... and it wont let me without a picture. This might be a little restrictive since like this last match, we didn't take any pictures at all. (Something I am going to try to get in the habit of doing mind you, but for now I don't have one.) But it let me sub in the Malifaux logo. That will work for now I suppose! haha.

Overall, I'm quite impressed with this. I never really thought this was something that we needed, but after using it, I think it is insanely helpful!

Here's the link!

http://malifaux.battle.directory/battle-report/ten-thunders-shenlong-vs-outcasts-hamelin/view-full/89

EDIT: after following the link, the picture is cut off on either side. I think maybe we need a way to see if the picture actually fits before publishing?

Still working on this one but figure I'll publish while in progress so folks can see what it looks like.

http://malifaux.battle.directory/battle-report/resurrectionists-seamus-vs-guild-lucas-mccabe/view-full/88

Thoughts:

• Crew selection isn't a huge nuisance. Just creating a notepad file and uploading works so that's fine. If it gets updated to text entry then all the better.
  • Featured Image is a bit restrictive, as far as being required for publishing. That being said it would be helpful if there was a way to modify/crop/whatever the image once you've uploaded it. It's hard to tell how exactly it will look and unless you're in Full mode it gets cutoff anyways.
  • Is it possible to have another entry field added for selections, VP's etc? I had to indicate VP's and which schemes were chosen/revealed in the Final Summary box but it would be handy to have it as a Detail box down the side like the other selectable sections.

Overall though I have to say this is a fairly simple yet intuitive setup that will help me get my act together with churning out battle reports.

Thanks for this guys, really really helpful. Very grateful indeed.

• Try Focus Mode re. image fitting. Blue button, top right.
  • The lists will be changed soon, watch this space.
  • The featured image requirement I literally only added yesterday because of the listings on other pages of reports do not work without an image. And until today every other report had an image. What if I made it optional again and added in a placeholder for those without images?
  • The Schemes should have been able to add at the start?
  • VPs, are these Victory Points, as in the score per turn? 

Thanks again

Jake

• Like 1

If Crew lists goes to text entry within the report builder it should accommodate the following:

• Model name entry (d'uh lol)
  • Upgrade entry (This should be able to be tied to a specific model, if you look at Jeremy and my examples, you can clearly tell which model has which upgrade. Otherwise it'll become difficult to tell which model has which upgrade.)
  • Starting Soulstone pool (This will always be a flat number.)

Thanks for this guys, really really helpful. Very grateful indeed.

• The featured image requirement I literally only added yesterday because of the listings on other pages of reports do not work without an image. And until today every other report had an image. What if I made it optional again and added in a placeholder for those without images?
  • The Schemes should have been able to add at the start?
  • VPs, are these Victory Points, as in the score per turn? 

Thanks again

Jake

• Making feature image optional would be great. If you can put a placeholder in, I'd use the Malifaux logo Jeremy used. That's excellent.
  • Schemes are selectable at the start, what I meant was this. Out of the list of 5 schemes, each player chooses 2 to use during the game so it'd be nice to have a way to show in a detail box which 2 schemes were selected by a player and whether or not they were announced or hidden by the player.
  • Yep, VP's is Victory Points which is final score.

With it only being the first image, maybe it isn't too terribly restrictive. Maybe it could default to the M2E logo or something, that way if they don't load anything, you can see that it's Malifaux, but otherwise we can use whatever.

Thanks for the tip about focus mode. Now that I see that, I have no complaints about sizing. that was user error! haha.

personally, I don't mind just having the list of schemes and putting the ones chosen in the relevant turns. ie if the opponent revealed bodyguard on turn 3, then that's where I would list it. What I think would be helpful is the list of VP at the end, having the schemes down there so we can show how many VP we received for each Scheme. Might make the math a little easier to follow if you are simply reading the report.

If Crew lists goes to text entry within the report builder it should accommodate the following:

• Model name entry (d'uh lol)
  • Upgrade entry (This should be able to be tied to a specific model, if you look at Jeremy and my examples, you can clearly tell which model has which upgrade. Otherwise it'll become difficult to tell which model has which upgrade.)
  • Starting Soulstone pool (This will always be a flat number.)

Would the existing text options suffice for this?

text.png

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve an idea for the site. Thoughts?

“In report comments”. Comments per turn, or for the summary or background. Rather than just at the end. So a really interesting turn or event gets comments. I hope it’ll encourage more comments as people are more likely to comment on snake eyes than the report as a whole. 

That sounds pretty good. I'd want the default for the comments to be auto-minimized or hidden unless selected or similar functionality. Having not seen what you're designing I can't speak exactly but what I'd want to avoid is a comments thread popping up on Turn 1 notes and then blowing up with comments so you'd then have to scroll endlessly to the bottom to find the rest of the battle report. If that makes sense.

Perfect!

Oh and one other thing, I'd edit your first post here with the link to the Report Builder so it's easier to find or start a new thread saying the report builder is live. I think it's currently located in one of your responses on Page 2 in this thread which is hard to find.

• Like 1

For those of you uploading reports its now possible to add an army list using plain text or HTML input, without the need to first create a .html or .txt file.

The original requirement for a file upload was based on 40K and other systems where apps are used, that generate files. It seems other systems don't use apps as much, so a simpler approach was needed.

This feature is now live.