Fuhatsu's Sweep and randomizing into combat

Math Mathonwy

Question

Fuhatsu uses his Sweep and gets the Trigger:

" :ram Sweeping Fire: After damaging, immediately take this Action against a different target which was not targeted by this Action during this Activation."

He is shooting into an engagement of friendly Lynch and enemy Judge (targeting Judge). He randomizes and hits Lynch, gets the trigger and does damage. What happens with the next shot? Who can he target? Can he randomize into Lynch again?

6 answers to this question

I would say that the wording "different target which was not targeted by this action..." would make the judge the second target.  However, if it is an infinite trigger (can be triggered over and over), it would go back to Lynch for the next "free" shot.

The Judge is a temporary target (p45), Lynch ends up being the real Target. IMO you can continue declaring a model as the temporary target as long as it has not been the real target during the activation.

OK, but what happens if it randomizes into Lynch again? Can it do that? Or if it does that, does the action end?

OK, but what happens if it randomizes into Lynch again? Can it do that? Or if it does that, does the action end?

I think you would randomize as normal and can hit Lynch again because short of Terrorize I can't think of any mechanic to abort the action at that point. 

I guess what I'm saying is that you check for legality when selecting the temporary target, and not again. But Sweep only mark the randomized target as shot. The first assumption I inferred from how LoS works with randomization. The second from that all other effects of the attack is transferred to the randomized target.

If you hit lynch or judge and wanted to fire into the combat again your temporary target could not be the one you hit. But once the temporary target is selected you have fulfilled sweeping fires restrictions. (As long as the temporary target was not already targeted ofc)

So if you shot lynch and then tried shooting judge and shot lynch again bad things happen. You could endlessly do that till you either killed lynch or didn't get a ram. Your temporary target is what matters for sweeping fire after that step it goes to duel totals anyways even if your new target is behind a wall and out of los.

But once you shot both you could not target either of them since they were both targets.

Normally if you could not declare a legal target then you can't declare the action. But if there is a legal target and the action is declared and then your target would not normally be able to be targeted. The randomize rules supersede things.

• Like 2