Creating Narrative Tension during "opposed" duels

dgraz

In the recent short intro session in the Wyrd Chronicles it was recommended to tell a "duel" in a narrative way. Specifically it was about getting something over on a rich blowhard and gave examples of what target number to provide depending on how the Fated went about it.....but it was stressed to tell it as a narrative.

So if I tell a player; "you need an 8 using your Convince ability".....they flip a card.....if it's not what they need, and they have the card, they cheat to succeed. They know at this point whether they've succeeded or not. How do I tell a story and make it seem like they're about to get caught, then succeed by the skin of their teeth if they already know they've succeeded?

Do you not tell the player what number they need to succeed and just play it out based on whatever they flip? Then when would they cheat?

Do you turn it into an ongoing duel and make them flip several times? Which seems grueling for something which could basically be a relatively simple pick-pocket.

• Like 1

I've tended to not tell my lot specific numbers, but rather describe how close they are to succeeding in vague terms. They can cheat, or not, based on a rough idea of how much higher they need to go. Sometimes they'll waste a good card, sometimes they'll risk a lower cheat if they're close anyway.

So for the pickpocketing example, if they needed a TN12, and got 10 or a 11, they'd get close and he'd be brushing his pocket as if he subconsciously felt them trying to get to the contents. If they had a 6, he'd have his hand in the way or be looking about warily having felt that first attempt.

If they then cheated up and passed well, I'd tell them how his caution drops for a moment and they neatly slip away with the goods, or if they barely passed that he realises it's gone while they're still walking away (but doesn't identify them as the culprit).

Clever. That helps a lot and thanks for the example. Obviously there would still be some constraints with how far you can push it, but I can see from that example that you can at least keep a fair modicum of the narrative going on.......enough that should allow you and the players to stay in 'story mode'.

Thanks.

And if I haven't mentioned it lately.......I hate you. Brilliant painter....and a clever bugger. 

Haven't seen you around much lately....thanks for the reply and I hope all is well.

I've managed to dodge the limits of it so far, but yeah they're definitely there. Takes some crafty thinking at times!

Telling them they realise mid swing they've messed up the angle and won't hit the target is always a laugh though, as they cheat up to re-aim mid attack and hope they get a good hit in...

Heh, thanks - painting time is rare these days... new job turns out to need a lot of energy!

• Like 2

Great question dgraz, and even better Answer Mako.  I think the system really shines when you drive the narrative as the lack of the FM flipping takes away some of the natural tension found in other systems where the DM would actively and randomly oppose as compared to the fixed target FM system. Utilizing narrative to describe what is occuring without going to the hard numbers seems to bridge this tension in a very solid way that is true to the system. That and moving the number at certain points the group I've been playing with has had a lot of fun but we've run it farily numbers up and I think when I FM my sessions to let our FM have a break, I'll utilize the more hidden TN narrative style and see what the group thinks.

I keep the numbers 90% known. One of the big benefits of this is it allows the players to get involved in the narrative more. Since they know if they hit or not, I don't need to know if they hit or not so much as "describe that thing you do or dont do". With known numbers, you can describe how cool your action is.

I keep the numbers 90% known. One of the big benefits of this is it allows the players to get involved in the narrative more. Since they know if they hit or not, I don't need to know if they hit or not so much as "describe that thing you do or dont do". With known numbers, you can describe how cool your action is.

See.......that makes sense and makes for a cool 'story'. But then it's just a story.....which certainly seems to be a big part of how the game is written. But knowing the numbers must completely remove any potential for real tension.....I think I'd prefer the system Mako described where you can still tell a story but also create real tension.

A perfectly reasonable way of doing stuff (blahblah mileage may vary, people play games differently blahblah ;) ) My method is actually a carry-over from my DnD GMing where after 2 rounds of combat I tell my players what the defenses are on my guys and I always roll in front of the screen. I would argue that the tension (Which ultimately boils down to "Does this next card hit or doesn't it?") still exists; it's simply more in the players head, allowing me to focus on different spots of the story-telling. I recognize that my style of running games isn't everyone elses though ^_^

• Like 1