mei feng or misaki?

grave13

So I have been looking into ten thunders this week to peek into what this faction has to offer. Im going to be playing gremlins mostly but i know that eventually my gremlins are going to dip into the ten thunders faction. I really like mei feng and misaki. Because they both sound like heavy hitters in melee. Im just wanting to know out of them two who has the most on damage output. I seen that Misaki comes with ototo and i have heard he alone is a beast. Mei Feng just cathes my eye because she has awsome tattoos and sounds like she is really good at taking on multiple enemies....which leads me to beluve she can hit really hard as well. So who is better at dishing out the hurt?

I would lean towards Misaki personally. She i s a lot greater 'killy' threat and less card intensive for that kind of play. Misaki also can fair quite well in a swarm with her Thunder attack which can deal blasts.

I do love Mei Feng as well and play her an awful lot but for what you are looking for I would go to Misaki, you cant really go wrong as they are both really fun to play.

I vote Misaki.

Her 'bonus' is she doesn't have much synergy with her crew, so you can pick and choose other Thunder models as you please. Mei you might find yourself picking a lot of Arcanist 'Foundry' models to go with her that you won't use with other Thunder Masters.

Ototo does die fast but players are scared of his potential damage output so he's a good distraction.

I reckon Fuhatsu and Oiran are a good expansion option, give you a big beast with range that sticks around and some utility models that are slightly cheaper than the Torakage. The new Oiran upgrade is good on Fuhatsu because he's likely to be damaging someone early and he's unlikely to die in a hurry. Move, shoot someone, all Oiran get Fast and Focused.

Dawn Serpent is a solid model but it's even better with other casting models around it (Monks), I prefer it with McCabe.

I also like running Ama No Zako with Misaki, but I just like Ama No Zako.

Just to expand on this:-

1) Misaki is deadlier against a single target - any single target, including opposition masters.

2) Mei Feng can be absolutely devastating against multiple opponents, but can be potentially outclassed in a 1v1 against some masters. 

3) Overall Mei Feng's crew probably has the greater damage output - Kang and the Rail Workers can really dish out pain.

4) If you face undead or constructs on a regular basis then thanks to Kang, Mei's crew will put out unpleasant (for your opponent) amounts of damage

5) You have the option of using the Rail Golem in Mei's crew (which is the thing she builds for the Arcanists). The Rail Golem is the last word in damage output. He is brutal.

6) Misaki's crew is arguably better at scheme's and strategies. Don't forget this is actually the aim of the game...;).

In summary Misaki is great for taking down enemy masters but her box crew will struggle to keep up in damage terms. Mei Feng and her crew will easily put out more damage overall, but she may need help from her crew to take down some Masters.

Once you've dipped your toe into the cool waters of TT though, who's to say you can't get both boxes and then mix and match the crews...;)

• Like 1

I vote Misaki.

Her 'bonus' is she doesn't have much synergy with her crew, so you can pick and choose other Thunder models as you please. Mei you might find yourself picking a lot of Arcanist 'Foundry' models to go with her that you won't use with other Thunder Masters.

Just want to break this myth, the Rail Golem is a beast and the metal gamin are pretty solid, but the Ten Thunders are full of beatsticks that can cover that hole if you want and the metal gamin are certainly not required. Having 2-3 constructs tends to be enough to cover all your railwalking needs and that's pretty much the only reason she gives a damn about what is in her crew, since Komainu are awesome and Rail Workers are some of the most efficient cost/damage models in the game, I'd say she is covered. Also don't forget the huge synergy with Toshiro and the Emberling where he poops scrap for Toshiro to summon Komainu from (and later Ashigaru when the living things start biting the dust).

As for the question at hand, Misaki is much better at destroying a defined target, she is a scalpel and a good, one, she can go where you need her to go at any given moment to haze or kill depending on your needs. Mei Feng is less hitty (although with the Hard Workers upgrade gets a 0 action to discard a card and ignore Armor and Hard to Wound, really increasing her damage potential against those targets) but covers more ground on the table and tends to move a lot, she is also harder to take down than Misaki thanks to that armor +1 and her leap of faith defensive trigger. Her Vent Steam also gives any ranged crew fits, use it twice and Rail Walk forward turn 1 and see how Perdita likes having - - to all of her ranged actions 4" from Mei till she activates again.

Finally, the new upgrad, From Wings of Wind gives a huge second wind to Mei Feng who doesn't usually get a 0 action outside of getting the Hard Workers upgrade, so if you don't think the enemy crew will be using much of those rules, it gives you a fantastic way to have Mei always be in the most annoying place possible with her 3" melee range while helping the slower elements of her crew to cover ground.

As for Ototo, he is kind of meh with Misaki since he is expensive and tends to arrive late and if not paid attention to, hits below his belt size. With McCabe on the other hand he is a god of death, specially when with half life or less, since he can make Ototo be a LOT faster and be where he NEEDS to be dealt with.

@Razhem do the vent steam stack? Never thought about doing that you sneaky devil!  :D

D.

Yes according to this

http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/102148-aura-stacking/?hl=%2Bvent+%2Bsteam+%2Bstack#entry742647

Though it might be worth it to ask Justin to add it to the next Faq if people have a hard time accepting it.

• Like 1

As it is worded, it does stack.

Also a bit off topic but could you Razhem clarify Ototo and McCabe a bit more?

Well, basically, give the Badge to Ototo and you suddenly get a 4" push plus nimble on a model that has Flurry. Also, note that his enraged buff is an ability, not something on the Tetsuboso, it would also apply to the Glowing Sabre, meaning you could hit with the usual Tetsubo damage, or if you want to ignore  alot of defensive rules, go for the Saber and still be Ml 8 with + to damage and an extra ram.

• Like 2

Yes according to this

http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/102148-aura-stacking/?hl=%2Bvent+%2Bsteam+%2Bstack#entry742647

Though it might be worth it to ask Justin to add it to the next Faq if people have a hard time accepting it.

Lol, yeah I've Evernoted that thread, otherwise none of the locals believe me... ;)

It's also worth noting that Mei, Wings Of Wind and Sensei Yu make a particularly effective anti range bubble (amongst other things). You can Vent Steam 3 times have Sensei Yu move her 4" and then she gets an extra 3" at the end of turn, all for no extra AP.

You may think a -3 flip is overkill but if you ever face Nicodem + Rotten Belles you'll think otherwise. In fact that annoying combo is what made me resort to this annoying combo... ;)

Well, basically, give the Badge to Ototo and you suddenly get a 4" push plus nimble on a model that has Flurry. Also, note that his enraged buff is an ability, not something on the Tetsuboso, it would also apply to the Glowing Sabre, meaning you could hit with the usual Tetsubo damage, or if you want to ignore  alot of defensive rules, go for the Saber and still be Ml 8 with + to damage and an extra ram.

Oh.. Wow.. :D

After reading up on each model in the crew box of Mei Feng they all seem to have a theme that they share or can add to. The burning condition. My question is when playing this crew should i run the rail workers with kang and keep them kinda close together so that they can benifit from each other? And with mei feng what shiuld she be focusing on? I know it really depends on what kind of game you are playing i.e. turf war. Or running schems. What is the best way to run them on different scenarios?

Saber on the Pale Rider is also ridiculous.  Gets past the restriction on his built in trigger of being limited to only +2 damage, whilst ignoring pretty much all defenses.

Wait huh what? Could you please elaborate this a bit? :D

I am sorry for derailing this topic but these are too nice to pass on :P