From Concept to 3d Model to Casting

spectrehorseman

Hello, I am wanting to get into designing my own miniatures. I have done some research and found that the program zbrush to be very useful in the 3d sculpting process. What I can't figure out is how does one go about getting the final 3d sculpt turned into a Real Life, Hold in your Hand, Miniature?

What are the price barriers for doing such a thing?

I have been developing a Zombie Wargame for the past year in preparation to launch on Kickstarter down the road. The initial plan was to point people in the direction of proxies that could be used with the rules and cards I've made, but as the game world is being more fleshed out, I'm starting to want to go with developing my own Miniatures line as well.

Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Shapeways (www.shapeways.com)

is one of the main people that will take your 3d File and print it out.  This will get you a miniature that you can hold in your hand.

They are not the only one, and not necessarily the best, but they are easy to use and pretty fast from my understanding.

However moving from the Shapeways "Master model" to a production mold is another beast entirely.

There are many ways of doing this.  The 3 current most mainstream versions are

3d Printed Master -> Sent to Professional Metal Caster -> Metal Models produced in bulk (Typically via spincast)

3d Printed Master -> Sent to Professional Resin Caster -> Resin models produced in bulk (Typically via spincast)

3d Computer Files -> Sent to stainless steel CNC company->Stainless CNC mold sent to styrene injection production company (the styrene company may also cut molds)

The 3rd option is VERY expensive (literally 10s of thousands of dollars), this is why so many companies start with metal models until they know they are going to be able to sell their games...  

• Like 1

Depending on the number of components, option 3 could quite literally be 100's of thousands of dollars.  The upside is that you have a steel mold which, barring unforeseen complications, will last you for 100's of thousands of miniatures.  The downside is it's a six figure investment...

Your cheapest option may be to invest in your own 3D Printer.  There are several available that are affordable, and could do the production work you require.  A quick google search will give you a starting point.

Good luck, and make sure to post a link to your kickstarter when it goes live.  I will most likely be a backer...;)

• Like 1

You need a good 3d printer for the master from what I understand, as some of the cheaper ones won't be quite as crisp as a good printer (and the most detailed level of material).

A 3D printer may be useful regardless just to see how some things come together when cast.

Also, with plastics, you have to spend a lot more time at the design phase to ensure that there's no undercuts.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the home market 3D printers won't do it.  If you want to do it at home, make sure you look for an SLA or DLP printer.  Also, for Shapeways, use their ultra-detailed plastic.  I've used them many times to make masters for costuming so can recommend them.  I've also got a filament based printer (Da Vinci specifically but it uses the same technology as RepRap, Makerbot, etc.) and I can't print a model off of it (I tried to see if I could).