Samurai vs. Convict Gunslinger

Sevorin

The 3 upgrades of the samurai are pretty much a necessity. Just so people remember, the buffs were

Heavens: +2 Wk and +1 Cg

Jigoku: Ignore damage during activation

Earth: +3 Wd

The closest in role is Jigoku and the convict gunslinger. I'd say a 14" range gun with +++ to the attack flip that can trigger extra shots should be pretty good on an Armor 2 platform. Don't have the gunsling on me though, so can't really compare.

The gunslinger has 1 less Df of 4, 2 more wounds, Bulletproof 1 and  :+fate to the attack.

Range 10" with a fire again trigger that triggers once and slow a trigger. Rapid fire's, is relentless and has a quick draw trigger that damages missed shots at him.

Both are solid but the with the upgrades i'd lean towards the Samurai, purely for the extra range and better melee ability.  Having said that the gunslinger is certainly no slouch in either role.

Well, the better melee ability is a bit debatable, the gunslinger gets a Melee range of 2" which is huge to avoid getting charged by range 2" models while not being able to retaliate before moving. But yeah, at 8 stones I'd go with the Samurai unless I had a good reason to expect Wp shenanigans where that Wp 4 becomes crippling.

The Gunslinger's Rapid Fire can also be used in close combat.

That said, my thought's come from not putting the Samurai on the table. I need to get games in with him. I have had quite a few with the Gunslinger, though, and know what it is he brings to the table.

The problem is the new samurai box will come with 3 models but who will take half your points in 3 samurai models? I have used them in the past and can be hit or miss but with low Wp they become the target of Obey-type actions (like Brewie using my samurai to target Misaki, trigger and get an Oiran, trigger and get Misaki again).

Agreed that with 0SS upgrades they will become far more useful.

Question is, if they were 7SS with 1SS upgrades would you take them over an 8SS gunslinger?

D.

Even at 7ss with a 1ss upgrade i'd prefer the Samurai.

I probably should have been clearer when stating they are better at melee than a gunslinger.  With 8 wounds the slinger has 2 extra but 2 hits in melee of 4dmg will take him out whereas the Samurai will still have 2 wounds remaining.

The problem is the new samurai box will come with 3 models but who will take half your points in 3 samurai models? I have used them in the past and can be hit or miss but with low Wp they become the target of Obey-type actions (like Brewie using my samurai to target Misaki, trigger and get an Oiran, trigger and get Misaki again).

Agreed that with 0SS upgrades they will become far more useful.

Question is, if they were 7SS with 1SS upgrades would you take them over an 8SS gunslinger?

D.

I'd probably buy a Samurai box and keep 2 at most to tell the truth. Outside of that, yeah, their Wp is pathetic, though the Wp 5 of the convict won't save you from much grief either to tell the truth and he is also Df 4 which will just mean he will die faster.

There are 3 main 10T ranged options - samurai, archers and katanaka snipers. Snipers offer some versatility but to get most out of them they need to Focus. Whether that's free with a Peasant or 2AP with the shot will depend. Archers are very pricey fo what they bring and their range is ok. Ignoring LOS and blast damage is good.

D.