Lighting options for display/storage cabinet

prof_bycid

Hello all,

I came across this glass-fronted cabinet at a neighbourhood garage sale and instantly knew its place in the grand scheme of things---as a miniatures display & storage cabinet.  It even had a "free  -->" sign next to it, so obviously no one in that neighbourhood plays Malifaux.  I would like to outfit it with some lights to show the mini's and terrain better.  The flash on the camera worked well here, it is actually much darker inside usually.  Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing or ideas?  I was thinking of using LEDs somehow.  If I get ambitious, I may surface the shelves in a Malifauxesque way as well, undecided at this point.  Any ideas welcomed.

Very nice little stand.

Don't forget about Home Depot, Lowes, or just about any other home improvement/electrical/tool shop.

I picked up several packs of hockey-puck sized, self-adhesive, battery-powered LED lights, and stuck them on the bottoms of my bookcase's shelves (it alternates between books and minis).  On the plus side, they're out of sight, due to the lip on the shelf front, and the shelves are still adjustable.  On the downside, their lighting is "adequate" at best.  I can't help but feel like I should've tried to figure out a way to get AC powered lighting into there somehow, instead. 

So... I recommend against going cheap like I did.  :D

Thanks for the insight, Eldarion.  You can just make out the large holes in the backing for running cords in, and it is sitting in a corner directly in front of an outlet (hence the white cord on the floor), so I can definitely get AC in there.  I'll avoid the light pucks. 

If I find something I'm happy with, I'll post the information here.

Cheers

i use 2 of these bars, connected in an L shape stuck to the underside of the shelf above. that let me run 8 bars, off one transformer. of course you still have to buy a full second set to get the extra light strips. so the extra transformers are in a box somewhere.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20119418/

looks like the cable from transformer to the wall is now built in. when i bought mine, i had to buy a wall to transformer cable. 

• 3 weeks later...