Help A Newbie Choose A Faction Please

thebigdog

Hi guys, my friends and I have recently decided to get into Malifaux and I need a bit help deciding on a faction/starter box.

To give you some background we are all brand new to Malifaux (although we're all experienced in warhammer/40k/warmahordes etc). So new in fact that my rulebook is still in the post!

We've each decided to try different factions to give a wide variety to the game. Initially I was planning to pick up the Shadows of Redchapel starter but I've been beaten to it by a friend who's got both the Seamus and Nicodem boxes. Thats Ressers out then. The other regular player is going to pick up Som'er Teeth Jones new plastic starter.

So, Ressers and Gremlins aside, what faction/master I choose for my initial foray into Malifaux?

I like games which reward clever tactical play, maneouvrability and tricksy thinking. I'm not averse to a bit of brute force when required but do enjoy a bit of cunning and finesse more.

So what would you suggest?

I've been looking at Neverborn (Teddy and Baby Kade!! Hehehe) and The Guild (gotta love those Death Marshalls) but from what I can see Guild tends to be a direct application if force and firearms.

You guys are the experts so I'd appreciate any help or advice you can offer.

Thanks

From the other thread:

Well, what miniatures do you like? Due to the recent edition change the game is very well balanced now and buying by the looks is not a bad way to go.

On the Wiki you can find short abstract for each Master (that's what I linked), and some additional information on playstyle.

From your description I would suggest Marcus or Lilith. Both are very versatile, tricksy Masters who like to do some serious face-beating from time to time.

Thanks Dirial. How do Pandora and The Dreamer shape up compared to other masters? Are they able to use movement tricks and unusual tactics or are they more straight forward?

Well, they shape up great, of course ;) . The Dreamer isn't out in plastic yet, but if that doesn't faze you, he is as tricksy and fast as Masters get. He won't do the beating himself, but he brings a particularly nasty friend for that.

Pandora is more of a mid-range damage caster than a tricksy tactician. She has some decent movement tricks, of course. She is a Neverborn, after all.

Your playstyle definitely sounds Neverborn-inclined to me. They're big on mobility and positioning, and they've certainly got some finesse elements - and more than a bit of brute force if you feel like it.

Lilith can be played as a high-mobility manipulation-control (plus some smashface) Master, which is loads of fun. She and her Waldgeists can effectively create temporary terrain to alter the game space, while Tots use their high speed to chase Schemes.

Pandora relies heavily on good positioning, is plenty mobile, and likes to use her opponents' weapons against them. Her crew is satisfyingly synergistic and tricksy, and revolves around manipulating the opponent's activation order.

I'd suggest starting with one of those two - they're both out in very nice plastic starters, and they seem most suited to your approach. You should probably look at Lucius once he comes out in plastic, too - you can get your Guild fix along with your Neverborn. :)

Hmm, the Dreamer sounds like the one for me but I'll wait for him in plastic. I'll spend more time looking at the Lileth and Pandora starter sets. I am a huge fan of Teddy and I see that Pandora has Baby Kade which should give some good synergy. Does the Lileth box have anything which works well with Teddy?

Hmm, the Dreamer sounds like the one for me but I'll wait for him in plastic. I'll spend more time looking at the Lileth and Pandora starter sets. I am a huge fan of Teddy and I see that Pandora has Baby Kade which should give some good synergy. Does the Lileth box have anything which works well with Teddy?

Teddy is one of those models who will produce excellent results in most crews. Lilith can teleport him around the field which makes him faster. He doesn't need much more synergy. He has pushes, though, which is great with the Nephilim.

So yes. Everything :D

Awesome! I know what's going to happen, I'll start off picking up a starter box and Teddy, then after a wee while my plastic-crack addiction will kick in and I'll end up buying most of everything for Neverborn and half the other factions despite my best efforts not to get carried away. Its not a hobby its an addiction. An addiction with brilliant, fantastically detailed minis! :D

I think Lilith's crew box will be where I start, with the addition of Teddy! She seems a little more flexible than Pandora to begin with and after having a look at Pull My Finger wiki, I like the idea of setting ambushes and manipulating my opponents crew into poor positions. Would the Nephilim box with 2 young and a mature Nephilim be a better initial investment afyer the crew box than Teddy?

I would say yes, it is a better investment, for 2 reasons,

Firstly, it comes with 3 models rather than 1, so allows you more variantion in your lists.

Secondly, one of the possible upgrades to buy allows you to turn terror tots into young nephlim, who can then turn in Mature. If you don't have any young then you can't grow your tots.

But if you would rather own Teddy, then he is still a good choice.