Base sizes and cheating?

Hector Romero

Hello all, i have a question about base sizes and cheating. Is it considered cheating if you put a miniature on a base larger than the one that came with it? Reason I'm asking is because, what if i want to add more decorations that wouldn't fit on a base my miniature came with? How much larger would you say is acceptable if at all? Im new to miniatures and I'm not sure what the etiquette is on that.  

I would say that it depends on your local gaming community.  If there are mostly friendly games, then you should be ok.  If you think at any time you may be involved in a more competitive gaming group, then you probably will not be using that model.

I would be ok with it in my local group, however, if I run a tournament, I would probably discourage the use of that model.  Just to avoid any sort of dispute.

Just my thoughts....

"Cheating" is a rather dramatic word, but yes the base size is part of the rules of the model, so putting the model on an incorrect base would be violating the rules.

That said, bases do have a fairly minor effect in Malifaux (and larger bases are mostly a negative) so in casual games I doubt you'll get complaints.

Any model with an aura, pulse or area based effect is going to gain a fair bit if you increase the base size. Technically, it will mess with the balance of the game if you change the base size, as it is a model stat just like Df, or Sh.

I would generally recommend against it as a plan, but if you only play the odd game with a friend who doesn't mind such things then go for it. I wouldn't expect to use it in a more competitive setting though.

You can of course build up and out from the base a bit, giving you a little more room, if you only need a small increase to do what you want. If you keep the black edging visible so you can measure from it, it doesn't entirely matter what you put on top as a base!

Thanks for the input everyone. I doubt I'll ever get into tournament play since I've always been a casual gamer but, i dont want to rule myself out of them if i ever decide to participate in one. I can see how AoE powers would give me the edge but start problems, lol. Bulding out / up on the base looks like will need to be my solution,  thanks again all, made it real clear to me now :D

Thanks for the input everyone. I doubt I'll ever get into tournament play since I've always been a casual gamer but, i dont want to rule myself out of them if i ever decide to participate in one. I can see how AoE powers would give me the edge but start problems, lol. Bulding out / up on the base looks like will need to be my solution,  thanks again all, made it real clear to me now :D

Not just AoE powers but all attack ranges get a larger "bubble" with a larger base. Not a huge difference, but it's meaningful. More significantly, larger bases make it easier to block LOS to other models -- but vice versa make it harder to block LOS to that model.

Why don't you just stack the bases? You could place a 30 mm base in the center of a 50 mm base and then fill the outer space with more basing decoration. Using some small magnets to secure the two bases together would be the most logical solution. Then, if anyone complains about your attractive larger base, or you change you mind and want to take your cool model to a tournament, you could just use the smaller (rules appropriate) base.

Basically, have your cake and eat it too! Mmmm ... cake ...

no,.. you aren't allowed to change base sizes. The up side would be aura effects  and range effects and such,.. but the downside to doing so, would be that now, because of the bigger base, more things can get into base to base contact with you. Now instead of only 3 or 4 things surrounding you, now you have 5 or 6,.. end result,.. you're dead quicker,...

To be honest I think that even if you played casual and your opponent said they were OK, in reality they would still consider changing the base size a bad thing, unless you are willing to adjust auras, melee and shooting ranges ranges etc and also willing to account for what would be the true line of sight.