Buffing vs. Nerfing

sharpobjects

Honestly instead of Cuddling/buffing and tons of errata like first edition I hope Wyrd takes a page out of Privateer Press's book and just releases new models/abilities that reduce the effectiveness or OP models (but not game breaking). If lure is a problem maybe have some models with an aura that reduces the walk distance of models close to it, or make it a double edged sword and make it so you can't push or be placed if you're within the aura. 

For the riders can have more attacks that target WP or restrict summoning.

Honestly instead of cuddling/buffing and tons of errata like first edition I hope Wyrd takes a page out of Privateer Press's book and just releases new models/abilities that reduce the effectiveness or OP models (but not game breaking). If lure is a problem maybe have some models with an aura that reduces the walk distance of models close to it, or make it a double edged sword and make it so you can't push or be placed if you're within the aura. 

For the riders can have more attacks that target WP or restrict summoning.

this is going to happen somewhat, but...

I think that releasing models that are designed to offset a specific model is a terrible design direction. It creates a rock/paper/scissors guessing game of "well, I brought bellhunter 20XX, so I win" or "Ha, ha. You didn't bring bellehunter 20XX so I win." where unless you pick the right model/antimodel, you have little chance of winning. (note: the above made up example is predicated on the assumption you find belles OP. If you do not, insert whichever model you do find OP where it says "belle.")

Rather than balancing the game, it further distorts it and makes for situations where you bring models which are usually terrible simply in case you find yourself up against supercrew X. In the long run, it isn't healthy for a competitive system or for selling models.

I can illustrate the difference yusing your belle and horseman suggestions.

Saying, "Well, the horsemen are distorting the game because arcanists don't have very many Wp targetting abilities. Abilities which target Wp are valuable, since most models have lower Wp than Df." could lead to Arcanists getting a model which is generally good—not just against the Riders, but against many other models as well. However, saying "Belles are bad because they lure. therefore, let's introduce a model that stops lure, or reduces Wk for friendly models" is a terrible idea, because it really is only good against a small subset of models, and is useless, or actively harmful to the player if those models are not played.

TL;DR: introducing more models that can target generalized vulnerabilities that certain OP models have is a good thing; it is not, however, an excuse to not cuddle OP models into approximate balance.

i think PP could take a page out of Wyrd's book, these open betas do much more in the sense of balancing and finding bugs of any sort than the hamfisted Errata/anti-model approach.

Just my two cents ...

Wyrd's open beta WAS taking a page out of PP's book, but you can't open beta forever. At some point you lock it down, and then you have to decide if you want to fix problems with errata, anti-models, or putting your hands over your eyes and saying "LALALALA" real loud.

The biggest issue with Wyrd trying to do the anti-model type approach to new releases is that with the current production schedule any "new releases" are not likely to have models until 2016 or so. The game's going to live or die on the first three Waves, so if significant problems are discovered they'll need to be fixed with errata.

All that said, M2E seems pretty solid so far.