Sidir's By Your Side vs Charges

baskinders

Question

Sidir's By Your Side upgrade allows him to effectively intercept an enemy when it targets a friend with an action (note it's any action, not just Attack actions), regardless of LoS or Range.

How does this work with Charges?

Firstly I assume that because Sidir is the target of the Charge action he is now the target for all of the generated Attack actions.

Then, if Model A declares a charge at Sidir's mate and is only just within range to make it into engagement. Sidir declares By Your Side and places himself behind his mate, putting him out of range of the charge.

Model A may still target Sidir with the charge regardless of range, but which of the four effects happen:

1. Model A moves to where he was intending to move within engagement range of Sidir's mate and makes their Attacks vs Sidir

2. Model A doesn't move at all because he can't end in engagement range with Sidir, but still makes their Attacks vs Sidir

3. Model A doesn't move at all because he can't end in engagement range with Sidir and because of this the Charge fails and the Attack actions aren't actually generated

4. Model A gains extra movement to be able to end in engagement range of Sidir and complete the Charge action because Sidir's ability allows them to target him regardless of LoS and Range!

My common sense tells me 1, but my analytical, play the rules as written brain is confused... :)

5 answers to this question

If they can't make the charge they can't take the action. Printed clealry in the rule book. This clause "This model is now the target of the Action, regardless of range or LoS." Negates it. So yes would move as far as he could but would not make it to strike.

I'd figure the "regardless of range or LoS" part would mean that it wouldn't be negated, and the opponent would be able to strike.