Tournament Saturday 31st March - Scythe and Teacup Gamer Cafe, Liverpool

Calmdown

Hi Guys

It is my pleasure to announce a tournament at the Scythe and Teacup gamer cafe in Liverpool on 31st March.

Entry fee will be £5 and all entry fee money will go towards prizes for the tournament.

The rules pack can be found

HERE! (pdf download)

I'll also expand on the specifics of the venue and so on later, but I wanted to give you guys as much notice as possible.

Cheers

Ian

Attending:

1) Jo-Anne "Neverata" Melia (paid)

2) Aidan "Cunningstunt/Britney" Kirk (paid)

3) James "MythicFOX Doxey (paid)

4) Adam "Iron Skies" Reeve (paid)

5) Ian "Calmdown" O'Brien (paid)

6) Steve "Scurry" Scurr (paid)

7) Ant "Stryder" Hoult (unpaid)

8) Paul "Rhinobuster" Hansel (unpaid)

9) Jamie Forth (unpaid)

10) Adrian Mills (paid)

11) Ozz (paid)

12) Boyzie (paid)

13) Jimmy "Ninjahamster" Balderstone (paid)

14) Phillippe "Boon" Marlot (paid)

15) Ryan "Umbraldancer" Billington (paid)

16) Rob "13th Warrior" Owens (paid)

Edited by Calmdown

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow I can understand you guys were a bit suprised by the Bristol rule set but starting up your own on the same weekend seems like a massive dick move.

I played in the last Bristol tournament and it was alot of fun. Also it had the best terrain of any tournament I have ever been to in any system. I will still be going to this one regardless of the ruleset. Trying to steal away more participants is pretty weak and you are just going to dilute the whole scene. I thought there was more comradery between wyrd representatives, this would never happen with press gangers.

Wow I can understand you guys were a bit suprised by the Bristol rule set but starting up your own on the same weekend seems like a massive dick move.

I played in the last Bristol tournament and it was alot of fun. Also it had the best terrain of any tournament I have ever been to in any system. I will still be going to this one regardless of the ruleset. Trying to steal away more participants is pretty weak and you are just going to dilute the whole scene. I thought there was more comradery between wyrd representatives, this would never happen with press gangers.

People can attend where they please. We want to attend a ranked tournament. That's our choice. A lot of the people attending are friends of ours who also want to attend a ranked tournament. Bristol is a long way to journey for a rules pack we're not into.

Coming on this thread to call people dicks for running a tournament they want to attend is hardly any less dickish. It's a one day, it's completely different to the Bristol event!

Dont know if you noticed, but we're not playing hordes and warmachine, we're not pressgangers, but we do have opinions on how we want to play.

The Bristol scene were going to attend the GT last November, but didn't. You didn't see me bitching over promises and no attendance from them.

Okay, so I think Jo's post above is fair enough but this seems a bit of a kneejerk reaction. I did miss the other thread evolve but reading it now it seems a bit dramatic, especially as the other rules pack got revised after your feedback.

Good luck with the event and if I can't get a hotel Bristol way on I'll likely come up, but new faces are better than the same faces. Plus you don't want me to beat you all again....

@ Som'er

When henchmen act together we're accused of being an elite cabal controlling the game, when we act separately we're accused of being dicks to each other.

That's before we get to the fact CalmDown isn't a Henchman.

I enjoyed the last Bristol event and will gladly come to tournaments there again. I don't hold any ill will towards Angor or Cut 'n' Thrust they're great guys.

Speaking personally I was 50/50 about going to Bristol, which with hotels and petrol was starting to look like £200 for the weekend in a month with another Malifaux event. I wanted to see the pack before I made my call. This event is over 100miles closer to me, and a better fit for what I enjoy. It's a no brainer for me to go to this event.

Well I think it's worth pointing out that by that point I will be living in Liverpool, and so will Jo, hence we were considering a spend of around £300 to get to this tournament. Bristol is very, very far away from the North. You need to understand that that's not an insignificant amount of money and having the rules pack come out the way it did was very disappointing. Other people felt the same way either in disappointment or about the expenditure, so suddenly there's a vacuum and people have some spare time. You can run a tournament how you like, but you have to understand that when you bill an event as "more of the same" and "maybe ranked" you set certain expectations.

So, with a weekend free (and generally not having many weekends free) I decided to do something about it.

This is not a slap in the face to you; some people may attend this who would have otherwise attended Bristol, but I think that that's more for monetary reasons than anything else. Most of the players who turn up to this, if any, are likely to be from Liverpool, Manchester, Stockport and Leeds, and they wouldn't have been attending Bristol either.

Good luck with your tournament, I'm sure it'll still be popular and you'll have a lot of fun especially with the changes you've now realised you need to make. Don't be worried about a small tournament going on at the other end of the country!

Oh and @Som'er, as someone who's fully involved in the H/WM community, they shoot each other in the foot way more. Everytime Stockport has a tournament, Maelstrom have one the same weekend, and they're both represented by press gangers...

Scotland's just as bad for communication failure between stores. 2010-11 had multiple events on the same days at stores that were less than 1hr apart. Our local PG even got turned down from stores when he offered to organise events for them.

I have to say, at the end of the day there are THREE tournaments happening 31st March, in the UK (inc Scotland) so I'm pretty sure there are plenty to go round. Play wherever you want to play. I still don't know which one I shall be at as I could either be in Scotland or down South so I will either be at the Scotland one or Liverpool. Really don't understand this whole "You're so mean! Having a tourney on the same day as us!" it's BS

At the end of the day. We were looking forward to a tournament over this weekend. Once we saw the Bristol rules we decided that it wasn't for us but we still wanted to a tournament.

So we set one up. Simple as that.

We weren't trying to screw over CnT and wreck their tournament.

We've made a few (huge) ammendments to our pack and maybe this would be more suitable.

More info in the other thread.

Sorry to have ruffled any feathers.

I have to say, at the end of the day there are THREE tournaments happening 31st March, in the UK (inc Scotland) so I'm pretty sure there are plenty to go round. Play wherever you want to play. I still don't know which one I shall be at as I could either be in Scotland or down South so I will either be at the Scotland one or Liverpool. Really don't understand this whole "You're so mean! Having a tourney on the same day as us!" it's BS

That's because you can win the wooden spoon at all 3... :P