Animals...?

Grymmie

In reading Through the Breach, and its various supplements, I have found a decided lack of common animals (such as wolves, bears, etc).  There are a few similar beasts (guard dog, horse, maybe the mauler or hoarcat...kind of), but a lack of more "common" animals.  Since we have the Primal and Shapeshifter pursuits, that seems a little unjust.

Am I missing something?  Is there a more exhaustive resource for these things?  Or is it something I will have to craft on my own?

You might have to craft it on your own.   Bear in mind that Malifaux is not just a weird corner of Earth, but a whole different dimension.   As such, they don't necessarily have squirrels/bears/wolves/etc.   Instead they have their versions of them, slateridge maulers, etc.

Some species would have been brought over because they are work animals  (horses, dogs, ?cows?), and others might have snuck across through other means (rats, etc.) but I don't think anyone looked at the barren stretches of Malifaux and said, "What this place needs is Coyotes.  We should import some."

Clement has the jist of it, Malifaux is not earth.  It has some similarities but there are elements not found on earth there and a whole range of plant and wild life that is foreign *and a lot of it hostile and dangerous*.

You can likely make your own easy enough as you at least have some animals for comparison to get a rough guideline.  That said why would you turn into a normal bear when you could turn into a slate ridge mauler?  First off a normal bear is smaller, less arms, and would stand out in Malifaux being a creature from earth.  I imagine many animals that are outside domestic types would stand out.

I get that its an alien world and all that.  Its one of the things I like.  While I still think the reasoning behind simple animal stats is sound and lacking in the RPG as it stands, it is certainly not the end of the world and something relatively easily rectified.  For primals and shapechangers, I think, it would be an important element.