Attacking friendly minions

ShinTensei

Question

Hey there

just returned from a friend after playing some games of Malifaux.

During the first game where I played Rasputina against Lilith a situation ocurred where I had to target my "Ice Gamin" with Decembers Curse.

On page 27 in the Rules Manual it is stated that a player can target own models with actions. The target may chose to relent the duel, if opposed, to tie the result.

Since I needed Severe damage for my two blast markers to reach Lilith who was out of sight I decided to flip for Raspy's attack flip. Then I flipped for the Ice Gamin's DF and cheated the Gamin's initial flip down so Raspy would be able to cheat the damage and get severe damage.

My question is: Was that according to the rules?

I didnt find anything in the faq.

The Rules Manual itself says "the target friendly model may relent the duel".

A clarification would be highly welcoming since I got accused of "cheesing to win".

Shin

8 answers to this question

Yep, you played totally by the rules. Relenting is a choice, and with blasty models it can often be better to sacrifice your own model to get off a blast. It does usually cost a few cards though.

Two notes about relenting just for the future:

1. You have to decide if you're relenting before you flip anything
  2. You still flip the attack flip and regardless of the result it's considered to be a tie (but you might still care about the card because you still need to hit any Target Numbers or you might want a trigger)

19 minutes ago, ShinTensei said:

A clarification would be highly welcoming since I got accused of "cheesing to win".

Not only is it perfectly legal by the rules (see @Dogmantra's response), it is a completely viable tactic as well as being thematic (Arcanist masters are ruthless, and minion constructs are replaceable without even having to worry about sneaking people through Guild checkpoints).
If your opponent is sincerely that upset and not just giving you a hard time, hopefully it is only because they were caught by surprise (and thus they will take it in stride next time). Rasputina is far from the only master to use their minions to reach out and touch models that might be otherwise out of reach. Sonnia uses Clockwork Traps for similar purpose. Ramos will happily detonate a friendly construct to damage things that he might not normally reach. Kudra's personal upgrade calls for automatically killing a Gamin (which will trigger the death explosion(s)).

Also of note: When Rasputina blasts off of a model and gets the trigger to do it again while killing them, she does it again before they are removed as a casualty because it happens after damaging. So if you kill the Gamin you're targeting and get the trigger to take the action again, you can still hit Lilith twice with the blasts.

Anything in the rules or on a card that says may is optional. Exceptions are explicitly noted (such as actions that state that they "must declare a trigger if able").

9 hours ago, Ergonomic Cat said:

I did this last week.  My Changeling poked Barbaros to put out the extra 1 point of damage from Black Blood.

And Red Jokered the damage on a double negative flip.  So just remember that Bad Things Happen. ;)  I mean, Barbaros got the kill.  And died.

You are aware that you may use the red joker on a negative but you are only forced to use the black one so you could have taken one of the other cards flipped for damage?