Wokou Raiders

DXXXVIII

Has anyone tried them out yet?
They have obvious synergies with Parker but aside of makeing the enemy drop scheme marker.
What do they offer to the different outcast-masters?
I could see some "additional hits" being nice for the viks. But it kinda takes a lot of placement and preparation.
Who else could get an advantage out of them?
And what exactly should i use them for?
As semi-Beatsticks? As expensive scheme-runners or as "you cant cheat attk"-Tarpits?

That's true.

Yes 538, what synergies the Woukou have are with Parker and Misaki, as you'd expect being Bandits and Lost Blossoms, but at 8 stones they're quite expensive and I don't see them bringing too much to another master. That said, i'll try them a few times just to see what they're like. Outcasts do have some pretty fantastic 6-10 stone models though, so there's plenty of competition.

• Like 2

I mostly use Wokou Raiders with Parker, since they're Bandits. In melee, they're nearly unkillable and often opponents don't even try. So get them in melee with an enemy and you're good.

They have scheme marker tricks that synergize with the rest of the Crew (if they do their scheme marker trick near a Dead Outlaw and Parker, it's two pushes, a healing, a removed marker, and extra cards or soulstones all in one action). They have a ranged attack which is fine.

But the main thing is, they hold territory against melee opponents like nobody's business.

• Like 1

Minion...enforcer...unless it's a scheme that cares about which type, it's just a name isn't it?

I'm curious about these - even for a vS crew, particularly if you're running Strongarm Suit as well (ie with a melee focus).

That trigger to get another model to take a hit though.....let me know if you disagree, but I anticipate it will be more situational/opportunistic than something you can really play towards, but they'll either

My thoughts....nice charge, defensive stats are a bit on the low side, but not being able to cheat when attacking is nice.  I reckon some opponents will just avoid attacking them if possible, simply to minimise the chance of wasting AP.  The attack isn't bad.  Coordinated raid seems like one of their strong points, but how do you work this in terms of positioning them on the board - do you play to this, or just see if the opportunity comes up if viks/Misaki happen to be in their part of the board?

What do you think of using these with von Schill?  He is less likely to kill an enemy model in melee, so the extra attack will help a lot - could also increase the chance of getting down to 2 wounds so vS can 'finish  the cur'.  But to take advantage of this trigger, I'm thinking they'd need to activate last to charge in, or first if models are already engaged, to try and free up your beater/master.

I'm wondering if this ability is as exciting as it sounds - or if it would wind up not really getting used, or being a hindrance to work towards?

(0)AP to move scheme markers, enemy or friendly is nice.  Looks like they would probably get their most utility with Parker Burrows.  I'm thinking they'd do well in a vS crew, as augmented jump allows vS to easily engage something engaged by these guys, and if that attack fails then WR will finish it off with the attack trigger.

Considering it, but not too sure about the cost

• Like 1

8ss is a hefty price, especially in a faction that struggles to offset high-cost models with cheap activation fodder. While theorycrafting is always difficult without seeing schemes, I'm struggling to see why I'm paying 8ss for this when I could have a Johan, Hans or Sue.

Maybe the option for tar-pitting is viable, but how many soulstones of their models are you slogging down for 8 of your own? If I were to use him, it would be in a vS crew, rather than Barrows. This model wants a friend in combat and a Parker crew may have difficulties providing it with a good one. But, what in your crew vS is a raider replacing? Nothing jumps to mind, especially because half my points are already sunk in an Alyce and Hannah. 

I'd actually consider Raiders in a Jack Daw list if the new Tail'em scheme is in the pool.

They are sturdy minions that can proc Spotted and are basically enforcers stat-wise, all the while being 1SS cheaper and kinda more survivable than Hanged.

Jack adds to them more mobility in the form of Writhing Torment and Lures from Jaakuna.

Still, don't ever see myself fielding more than a single Raider, so buying a whole box might be an issue.

3 hours ago, Seadhna said:

I'd actually consider Raiders in a Jack Daw list if the new Tail'em scheme is in the pool.

I didn't consider Daw, but do you think you would get more use out of a Raider than a Crossroad 7? They're the same price and come tormented, letting you twist and turn them.

And I agree, having these models come in a group is rather odd, I can't think of many other 8ss models sold in groups outside crew boxes.

45 minutes ago, Fopp said:

I didn't consider Daw, but do you think you would get more use out of a Raider than a Crossroad 7? They're the same price and come tormented, letting you twist and turn them.

And I agree, having these models come in a group is rather odd, I can't think of many other 8ss models sold in groups outside crew boxes.

You want band members for their spells and auras, whereas Raiders are melee tarpits

moreover, for Tail'em you need minions, not enforcers

• 1 month later...

I brought two in a recent game vs Viks, and they took a lot of swearing and plus flips from both Viks to take down. 

They are opportunistic pieces who can chop down about half the models in the game. 

There's an unexplored tactic of making them Sisters via Howling Wolf Tattoo on Vanessa, then going Dragon's Bite or just attacking with even more positives. 

But a prime use I've found was to charge into a cluster of enemies, survive an enemy activation, then use You were told to duck with Parker to shoot some faces off and riddle the are with markers

sadly, in a Parker crew Sue tends to lag behind and be sad