[Battle Report] Gremlins vs. Ressers - Help me get better at this game

Kobayashi

9 hours ago, Dogmantra said:

I actually don't really like Brewmaster and Shinobis work just fine with other masters.

Som'er can give them suits for Stumble Around Drunk and their triggers, Mah can give her usual support as well as increase their Ml to be a little more respectable (be wary of using her Do It Right though!). They work ok with everyone.

Currently my brewmaster is benched as well. Last game I even considered taking the Whiskey Golem, who would be nice in getting the Moon Shinobis quickly in and out of combat... Guess I have to try it out... next time!

16 hours ago, scottb said:

I really like this idea! Do Moon Shinobis work ok with other Masters? I don't have Brewmaster (got Ophelia, Somer, Ma, Zoraida, Wong).

Shinobi are most of the time boosting damage rolls or being able to easily cheat damage against most opponents (you are usually even or negative twist for damage) 

Against hard to wound you are fairing even better. I also enjoy cheating down with your low cards to get double twist on the damage from a tie. (If you are winning, your opponent has to cheat or pass before you do, often they pass or cheat lower to try and stop your positive twists)

41 minutes ago, Frankiehats said:

(If you are winning, your opponent has to cheat or pass before you do, often they pass or cheat lower to try and stop your positive twists)

yeah this is what makes them so good in my eyes, they drain cards like nobody's business - a 2/3/4 damage flip isn't the scariest thing in the world, but give it :+fate:+fate and suddenly it's pretty intimidating, and your opponent will probably cheat to avoid that, even if it's not the best move for them to make

15 minutes ago, Dogmantra said:

yeah this is what makes them so good in my eyes, they drain cards like nobody's business - a 2/3/4 damage flip isn't the scariest thing in the world, but give it :+fate:+fate and suddenly it's pretty intimidating, and your opponent will probably cheat to avoid that, even if it's not the best move for them to make

So would you reccommend to run two with a Whiskey Golem :D? I'm  aiming at the Moon Shinobi's (0) Tactical Action.

2 hours ago, Kobayashi said:

So would you reccommend to run two with a Whiskey Golem :D? I'm  aiming at the Moon Shinobi's (0) Tactical Action.

How are you expecting to use them in concert? I suppose you can use smokey finish to keep poison on the Golem until you need the AP for other things, giving you a quick advancing trio (Golem Walks - Walks - Finish 12" Shinobi Walk - Walk - Where'd you get that? is 14" so they could get up ahead of him) having the shinobi in front also lets them take the charge and stumble freeing up a counter charge angle from the Golem, but its fragile (and 22 points) I find a much more effective "fast Trio" to be Mah, Trixiebelle (with gun) and Lenny/Fran/Slop Hauler

24 minutes ago, Kobayashi said:

Whiskey Golem gets the Alpha Strike with Nimble, Moon Shinobi get extra mileage

Okay, so in that case I'd say be on the look out for the following

If Whiskey does a walk - Charge to alpha strike with Nimble he's 12" away from the start, so they might be out of range to pull themselves up and assist

Also if he nimble walks and charges you don't have poison on him anymore from smokey finish so you lose the pull anyway.

I'm not saying its not a viable tactic, I've just learned its very good to be aware of all the components as Malifaux in layers upon layers of interactivity.

On ‎26‎.‎02‎.‎2016 at 8:08 PM, Frankiehats said:

Well Okay, so in that case I'd say be on the look out for the following

If Whiskey does a walk - Charge to alpha strike with Nimble he's 12" away from the start, so they might be out of range to pull themselves up and assist

Also if he nimble walks and charges you don't have poison on him anymore from smokey finish so you lose the pull anyway.

I'm not saying its not a viable tactic, I've just learned its very good to be aware of all the components as Malifaux in layers upon layers of interactivity.

Sure, there is more to it, than just run down the Golem and .... ... *crickets* I mean I need to position my Shinobis alike. Also it's not that I want them to push towards the Golem itself, but the target of the Golem.

I know, I know I also have to be mindful about what the opponent is doing - it's just that asking if the move is viable and I also learned that Malifaux everything is viable, given the right situation and there is no such thing as steadily declare BOLTER TO THE FACE and be right everytime.

12 hours ago, Kobayashi said:

Sure, there is more to it, than just run down the Golem and .... ... *crickets* I mean I need to position my Shinobis alike. Also it's not that I want them to push towards the Golem itself, but the target of the Golem.

I know, I know I also have to be mindful about what the opponent is doing - it's just that asking if the move is viable and I also learned that Malifaux everything is viable, given the right situation and there is no such thing as steadily declare BOLTER TO THE FACE and be right everytime.

Oh Absolutely, I wasn't trying to tell you not to do it, just point out things that need to be considered, like you said Malifaux has a pretty wide berth of "good" moves. 

I suppose that didn't come across in my answer, yes i think its something you can do.

Also I wouldn't say "Plan" on getting to move on the Whiskey Golem target, I don't think you should "Plan" on any interaction between your own models that you can't guarantee. The Whisky Golem needs a trigger to poison (and can't burn stones) or to be hit AND have the opponent fail a WP duel (which if I see that failing the duel is going to let you ram Moon Shinobi into me, I'm probably not going to put myself in a place to make the check without really good odds/card to cheat it.)

However if you've got the crow in hand (or the golem is close enough to use nible to walk up and flurry - I'd bet on a crow out of three attacks) its a very solid method of piling in.

15 hours ago, Frankiehats said:

However if you've got the crow in hand (or the golem is close enough to use nible to walk up and flurry - I'd bet on a crow out of three attacks) its a very solid method of piling in.

Oh if only there was a way to tell that pre-game ... ... *sigh* I'm off to the Bayou now... guess I need to meet up a famous fortune telling swamp hag....

On Wednesday, February 24, 2016 at 1:38 AM, Runeman said:

I may be reading this wrong, but if you flip the red joker on an opposed duel, then your opponent can't cheat on that duel.

I was going to post this as I read the BatRep. :P

BRB has it on page 28 btw guys, it's not just in the little one.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll write this in an existing thread, since the topic would be the same.

Had a game with Ophelia vs Kirai recently as part of the Shifting Loyalties campaign. The strategy was extraction and I chose hunting party and covert breakthrough as schemes (as did my opponent). It was a fun and relaxed game and my opponent is really nice to play against. She is a lot more skilled than I am so I try to pay attention and learn some. However...

I was soundly beaten and I honestly don't see a way to play evenly against the crew I was facing. It was a big game, corresponding to something like 60 normal points (76 campaign points) so I was facing Kirai, Lost Love, Datsue Ba, Izamu (with jet pack/flight as campaign upgrade, not particularly nice), Yin, Flesh construct, a couple of Onryo, Gaki and a Shikome. I had the Kin with Old Cranky and a couple of haulers. First turn, she summoned the Hanged, another Shikome and a Seishin and I started to feel a bit pressured. Next turn, she summoned another Shikome (which actually was not allowed we later realised, since the limit is 2, but that did by no means affect the outcome of the game) and a Seishin and soon another Seishin turned up and a Gaki appeared when one of my models were killed. There were spirits everywhere and I was out-activated, out gunned (they have lots of castings with good range) and I had a really hard time killing anything due to HtW and incorporeal.

Covert breakthrough was not a problem with Merris and I guess I should have taken undercover entourage instead and have Sammy sneak away towards the end of the game but I thought hunting party would be good, since her crew was mainly minions and mine mainly henchmen and enforcers. I managed to kill Izamu, the flesh guy, a Shikome and an Onryo but still scored nil. Ophelia did most of the killing (everybody else in my crew kind of died) and one spirit died from burning which I forgot didn't count. I was very careful not to bring Ikiryo out, maybe that was a bit cowardly of me. I maybe could have been more agressive with Ophelia as well, since she can use stones to prevent damage, but every turn ended with a handful of consecutive spirit activations so she would have had to be really lucky in the defense in that case.

I would very much like to hear some more experienced players share their thoughts regarding how best to deal with something like this. Any weaknesses at all? I couldn't figure any out myself. My friends who are participating in the same campaing (playing Neverborn, Arcanists, and Guild) also struggle. We are all more or less rookies, but still. My opponent said she didn't really see any way for me to compete either, her tip was to try and take out Lost Love but I didn't see the guy at all during the game so I don't know how that would have been achieved.

Anybody got experience on how to be able to compete with this? Maybe a few tips and tricks to share?

We did the campaign thing as well but I didn't find it very fun, to be honest. It just completely breaks the balance of the game. I mean, that "when everything is broken nothing is" just doesn't hold with things like jetpack Izamu (we had one as well) or my Francois (can't remember fully but he had Armor and positives to Ml and something else as well). Oh, and a Slop Hauler with a Flammewerfer (Reckless and Bayou Two-card makes it all in all quite silly). It just stopped being fun.

As for generally against Kirai, yeah, she is very tough. Ophelia wouldn't be my first choice against Ressers in general but she can still compete. I would mostly fall back on the usual stuff like Lenny tossing Ophelia, who Ooh a Girl's him next to her and then kills everything. Merris and Pere are really good against Incorporeals and Francois' Companion allows you to Summon Ikiryo and then kill her immediately if needed.

Note also that Jug Rocket can kill Lost Love.