Breakthrough question

Dam13n

Question

Something that came up in a game tonight.

When placing markers for Breakthrough, do they have to be up to 6" outside the enemy deployment zone, or can they be placed within the enemy deployment zone itself?

The wording states 'within 6" of the enemy deployment zone' which I though would include the deployment zone itself, as that is technically 'within 6" of'.

To keep the game going, we rolled a die at the end of the game to see which way we would play it ,which seemed a fair compromise*.

But it would be nice to know what the consensus is here regarding the proper way to score the scheme.

(* It was an insane game and the outcome really didn't matter that much.  Sonnia's Avatar going "boom" as a result of Burning Damage which Misaki misdirected onto her from a spell cast by Sammael, promptly killing Sammael, Misaki and Sonnia's Totem, as well as Sonnia herself, was properly bonkers and funny in equal measure).

9 answers to this question

Something that came up in a game tonight.

When placing markers for Breakthrough, do they have to be up to 6" outside the enemy deployment zone, or can they be placed within the enemy deployment zone itself?

The wording states 'within 6" of the enemy deployment zone' which I though would include the deployment zone itself, as that is technically 'within 6" of'.

To keep the game going, we rolled a die at the end of the game to see which way we would play it ,which seemed a fair compromise*.

But it would be nice to know what the consensus is here regarding the proper way to score the scheme.

(* It was an insane game and the outcome really didn't matter that much.  Sonnia's Avatar going "boom" as a result of Burning Damage which Misaki misdirected onto her from a spell cast by Sammael, promptly killing Sammael, Misaki and Sonnia's Totem, as well as Sonnia herself, was properly bonkers and funny in equal measure).

You forgot your poor Oiran as well, she got caught in my Mushroom Cloud of Doom!  :D

I have somehow understood that within 6" of deployment zone meant that there was the deployment zone, and from there was another 6" zone where you dropped the markers.

This was my mentality behind it whereas I could also very easily see the alternate view so to keep the game simple and unbiased we threw a die at it. 4+ the markers within my deployment zone counted, 3 or less they didn't. (We were using dice for SS markers). It was a quick an easy fix considering we weren't 100% certain

In the end the die determined that they didn't but given the input here I'm happy to give the Victory over to Dam13n if you can in fact place them within the deployment zone which seems to be the case. Either way we had a right laugh so it's all good at the end of the day. I forsee a rematch in the near future where Sonnia will have her revenge and not end up killing over half of everybodies models over the course of a game!

Dam13n only killed one model for our Reckoning, I killed 3 Stalkers, Fancisco, Samael, Misaki, Yamaziko, 1 Torakage, 2 Oiran & the Purifying Flame  :D. Most of which was due to burning though so no points 

It was the burning that killed the Oiran, not the blast, but hey-ho.

To be fair, Misaki's misdirection was the cause of a few of your losses, just a shame that they didn't count as my kills.

I think that a draw would probably be the fair conclusion for the game.  Simply because neither side came across as a "winner" in the end, regardless of victory points.

I'll get you next time, MasterDisaster... Misaki's explosive demise shall be avenged!!  :ph34r:

Thanks for the input everyone, appreciated.