Once Per Activation

Fireuser

Question

If I have a model with a once per activation ability, that I use on that models activation, can another model use obey during their activation and use the ability?

I know that they cannot use the ability a second time as per the FAQ, but it was not clear to me if this scenario could still happen.

Thanks

• Answers 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Once per turn is once per turn. once per activation is once an activation. if you used it once on your activation you can no longer use it During that activation. if that model gets reactivate that abilty can not be used since it a once per activation (and it previously activated and used it). if the model is obeyed it is not activating so it can still use it during its activation. or can be obeyed to use it after it uses said action during it activation.

Once per turn is clarified in the FAQ

maybe we are reading it 2 different ways. once per activation. if you already activated and used it. You used it once per activation. my reading

Your reading you used it once during that activation. so you can freely use it during the second activation one more time.

also what actions have once per activation?

maybe we are reading it 2 different ways. once per activation. if you already activated and used it. You used it once per activation. my reading

Your reading you used it once during that activation. so you can freely use it during the second activation one more time.

also what actions have once per activation?

I agree with ausplosions. New activation, new chance to use it. The same should go for obeying, you can use it again but not obey twice in a row for that ability. Grammatically, it means "once each activation". Why should it be spent because you used it last activation?

also, godlyness, you basically described "once per turn" using "once per activation". What would be the point in two different game mechanics doing the same thing?

Edit: I think of it just as action points. You get a new allowance of AP each activation, and you get a new allowance of once per activation. On the other hand, a new allowance of once per turn is only at the start of a turn.

Edited by Carasz

I agree with ausplosions. New activation, new chance to use it. The same should go for obeying, you can use it again but not obey twice in a row for that ability. Grammatically, it means "once each activation". Why should it be spent because you used it last activation?

also, godlyness, you basically described "once per turn" using "once per activation". What would be the point in two different game mechanics doing the same thing?

Edit: I think of it just as action points. You get a new allowance of AP each activation, and you get a new allowance of once per activation. On the other hand, a new allowance of once per turn is only at the start of a turn.

Edited by Carasz

I agree as well that if you reactivate you can use it again.

As for obeying twice a row the same ability, are you sure you can't do that? As you generate the ap yourself? Same as obeying a paralyzed model?

I meant that you can't use that ability twice in a row with obey from the same model. It's still during one activation, even though it's another model who activates. It doesn't matter who uses it, only whether it's the same activation or not. The same goes for once per turn.

I agree as well that if you reactivate you can use it again.

As for obeying twice a row the same ability, are you sure you can't do that? As you generate the ap yourself? Same as obeying a paralyzed model?

I meant that you can't use that ability twice in a row with obey from the same model. It's still during one activation, even though it's another model who activates. It doesn't matter who uses it, only whether it's the same activation or not. The same goes for once per turn.

Yeah I missed that, point, you are correct.

Yeah I missed that, point, you are correct.

No i did not. Clearly you can obey a once per activation. a once per turn if they or you use it it is done for that turn.

i am saying that once per activation is exactly that if you activate two times in a one turn and used a thing that says once per activation and you used it already in one activation you used it once per activation. Which then can be Clearly obeyed. Subtle difference there but once just the same. Course i could be wrong. Any one know of a Once per activation, Activation?

No i did not. Clearly you can obey a once per activation. a once per turn if they or you use it it is done for that turn.

i am saying that once per activation is exactly that if you activate two times in a one turn and used a thing that says once per activation and you used it already in one activation you used it once per activation. Which then can be Clearly obeyed. Subtle difference there but once just the same. Course i could be wrong. Any one know of a Once per activation, Activation?

No, you really are describing Once Per Turn.

---------- Post added at 06:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 AM ----------

Okay.

I'm going to try a "Real World" example.

I have a free movie ticket.

It reads "May use Once per Day, Saturdays and Sundays".

If I used it Saturday, and the when back Sunday again, that is once PER day.

If the cashier said sorry, you used a once per day ticket on another day, but not today. I would probably punch him in his face.

If if

In a Malifaux turn most models get only one Activation, so a Once per Activation ability is effectively once per Turn, except it can still be used by Obey and copy abilities from other models.

But if the model has a means to activate twice in a turn, then it gets an allocation of 2 Activations, and may then use that ability PER ACTIVATION.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Have you REALLY been playing it like this?

Edited by Ausplosions

No, you really are describing Once Per Turn.

---------- Post added at 06:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 AM ----------

Okay.

I'm going to try a "Real World" example.

I have a free movie ticket.

It reads "May use Once per Day, Saturdays and Sundays".

If I used it Saturday, and the when back Sunday again, that is once PER day.

If the cashier said sorry, you used a once per day ticket on another day, but not today. I would probably punch him in his face.

If if

In a Malifaux turn most models get only one Activation, so a Once per Activation ability is effectively once per Turn, except it can still be used by Obey and copy abilities from other models.

But if the model has a means to activate twice in a turn, then it gets an allocation of 2 Activations, and may then use that ability PER ACTIVATION.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Have you REALLY been playing it like this?

Edited by Ausplosions