Dual faction masters and hiring in general

Sharp_GT

Question

I hate to flood the forums with new posts, but I didn't want to lump this into my other post since this is totally unrelated. Since starting to play malifaux I've heard two distinct and contradictory versions of hiring when it concerns a dual faction master. I've heard some conflicting versions of how to pay for your crew as well. I'm guessing this has something to do with holdovers from 1.5 rules.

So for hiring models when using a dual faction master:

Version A (the one I have been following): you choose a faction, you choose your (dual faction) master to lead the crew. You hire models and equip upgrades out of your chosen faction only (infiltration effects allowing you to cheat this a bit). I.E. Jakob lynch in 10T can bring Beckoners (infiltrated), Illuminated, and 10T archers, but not a Teddy.

OR

Version B (several players have told me this, including a henchman): you choose a faction, you choose your (again dual faction) master to lead your crew. You can hire models from either of your master's factions, but only equip upgrades from the chosen faction. I.E. Jakob in 10T can bring Beckoners, Terror Tots, and 10T archers.

I'd love to hear which is the correct way to pick things.

This is somewhat related so I'll ask here as well. When hiring do you:

A) only hire out of the game's build total (as I have been doing) and then add the leader's cache to your soul stone pool? I.E. using Pandora you build with 50ss, have 3 left over which gets added to your SS pool for total of 6ss.

Or

B) add the leader's cache to the build total, and then hire out of that amount? I.E. using Pandora you add cache of 3 and build out of 53ss, any left over becomes your SS pool.

Again, love to hear something official on this.

5 answers to this question

With regard to the first part, to quote chapter and verse (rather than saying "it is so"): pg 72, last paragraph of "Hire Crews" - "The other models hired by a crew must belong to the announced Faction, be specifically allowed by an Ability, or be Mercenary models (which will sell their services to any Crew)"

I had initially overlooked this part as well, believing the "B" to be true for the first question. And if you only go by the description "Dual Faction Models" later on the same page, it would make sense.

FWIW