a question for Wyrd Henchmen

WoeIsMe

I was just interested in what kind of support is offered to a Henchman for their organized events? I know they are required 1 a month, but was unsure if Wyrd provided prize support for these types of things...i know some other major companies( no names mentioned ) have all but stopped the practice of prize support.

Im very interested in becoming a Wyrd Henchman for my local area and LGS as we have zero around us... but would like to go into it knowing exactly what im getting into.

Any advice or input on the matter would be, not only helpful, but also very much appreciated.

Wyrd compensate Henchmen with store credit for running events. In general, the credit you get for running, say, a tournament, wouldn't really be enough to cover an adequate amount of prizes, so you'd probably want to charge a small entry fee for the event on top. Most players are happy to do it this way in my experience.

Wyrd don't expect you to spend your credit on prizes for other people though. It's meant to be a thank you for putting the time in.

Honestly there is not a lot of support given to Henchman to run local events outside of the Gaining grounds tournament events (which only assist by providing rules), however there are a few fan made resources that are available. From one day achievement leagues to longer campaign style leagues (like my own set) there are a few different options available.

As for prize support the organizer is left to their own devices but generally a first place, best in faction and bested painted are standard offerings (with a best sportsman and the infamous last place award also appearing quite frequently). Most events feature a small entry fee to cover prize support (generally between $5.00- $10.00) it also helps if the store is willing to offer at cost purchasing for the organizer.

I am hoping that the company will devote some time and effort into improving this vital part of growing a community.

ok, thanks guys! i had read somewhere that henchmen got some perks( i seem to recall someone mentioned a limited edition mini of some sort) and while that is cool in its own right, im not gonna do this just for myself....well at least not overtly...

I dont think anyone would have a problem with a 5.00 dollar buy in or some such .. so i may go that route...

Now, to just apply for the henchman status.... i need to paint 2 crews .... with M2E out now.. what are some good demo crews... i have a feeling my Pandora and Co. may be a bad learning curve for a new player...

ok, thanks guys! i had read somewhere that henchmen got some perks( i seem to recall someone mentioned a limited edition mini of some sort) and while that is cool in its own right, im not gonna do this just for myself....well at least not overtly...

There are perks to being a Henchman. Aside from the event compensation that was mentioned earlier, Henchman have also received a few other nice perks over the years (the Limited edition model you mentioned was a Santana model that was an alternate sculpt for Santiago is an example). Over all though most of us dont do it for the product compensation, we do it to build the community and have a larger pool of people to play against.

I dont think anyone would have a problem with a 5.00 dollar buy in or some such .. so i may go that route...

Most people are used to it and if the Prize pack is clearly advertised ahead of time wont have a problem with it. It also helps if the adverts also have a blurb stating that 100% of event fees go toward the prize support. I would advise being a bit cautious of overly generous prize packs though as it leads to two problems. The first is that the better the prizes the more inclined players are to bring the pain (the really tough lists that will turn off the casual players). For tournament style events this is to be expected but for "casual" and "beginner friendly" league style events it can turn away more players than it'll attract. This is another good thing to advert up front. The second issue is that a really nice prize pack will set a precedent for future events which may or may not be sustainable. I have found that a lot of players are happy receiving a nice certificate and some store credit (though I also provide a Teddy model painted gold with a blood red heart for the Best Sportsman and a Student of Conflict model painted in a metallic blood red for the Lantern Rouge/ Last place recipient). I have also done a few custom trophies for events (usually story encounter type events).

Now, to just apply for the henchman status.... i need to paint 2 crews .... with M2E out now.. what are some good demo crews... i have a feeling my Pandora and Co. may be a bad learning curve for a new player...

For demos I have always preferred the more straight forward and fluffy crews of Lady Justice and Seamus.