Seamus Back Alley - vertical distance?

phetish

Question

So I was playing with a friend who is new to Malifaux and using Seamus... (I'm not exactly a pro, but I've played a few games).

The question came up, "can I use Back Alley to get to the roof of a building?"

I didn't see why not as long as no one has LOS - but does the vertical distance count or is it 10 inches "as the crow flies" (ignoring vertical distance)?

It was a friendly game so we agreed it was "as the crow flies". But is there a rule that could apply here?

Thanks!

6 answers to this question

So I was playing with a friend who is new to Malifaux and using Seamus... (I'm not exactly a pro, but I've played a few games).

The question came up, "can I use Back Alley to get to the roof of a building?"

I didn't see why not as long as no one has LOS - but does the vertical distance count or is it 10 inches "as the crow flies" (ignoring vertical distance)?

It was a friendly game so we agreed it was "as the crow flies". But is there a rule that could apply here?

Thanks!

No rulebook close to reference a certain page, but ranges are done the crow-flying way in pretty much every instance, so I'd say it's like this for Backalley as well.

The FAQ says

Q: A model with the Incorporeal Ability ignores terrain when it moves. If it is on the ground floor of a building which is 10” tall, can it end its move on top of the building, even if its Wk stat is less than 10, since it ignores the building while moving?

Same question for a model with Flight in regards to vertical terrain.

A: No. Although measurements in Malifaux are generally made from a top down view, vertical distances are measured while moving a model (see pg. 42 of the rulebook, Movement & Terrain). If the model with Incorporeal ends its move on top of the 10” tall building, it would have moved 10” and, unless it has a Wk of 10 or greater, this is not a legal move.

However, if the Incorporeal model has a sufficient Wk stat to complete the move, it would be able to end the move on top of the terrain, ignoring the usual rules for climbing, etc.

Flight works similarly, except in the case of Enclosed terrain (see Enclosed terrain, rulebook pg. 60).

I'm not sure of the exact wording on Back ally, but if it is a move then you need to measure height. If it is a place within 10" then you can measure as the crow flies.

The FAQ says

Q: A model with the Incorporeal Ability ignores terrain when it moves. If it is on the ground floor of a building which is 10” tall, can it end its move on top of the building, even if its Wk stat is less than 10, since it ignores the building while moving?

Same question for a model with Flight in regards to vertical terrain.

A: No. Although measurements in Malifaux are generally made from a top down view, vertical distances are measured while moving a model (see pg. 42 of the rulebook, Movement & Terrain). If the model with Incorporeal ends its move on top of the 10” tall building, it would have moved 10” and, unless it has a Wk of 10 or greater, this is not a legal move.

However, if the Incorporeal model has a sufficient Wk stat to complete the move, it would be able to end the move on top of the terrain, ignoring the usual rules for climbing, etc.

Flight works similarly, except in the case of Enclosed terrain (see Enclosed terrain, rulebook pg. 60).

I'm not sure of the exact wording on Back ally, but if it is a move then you need to measure height. If it is a place within 10" then you can measure as the crow flies.

It is indeed a Place.

Thanks for the info!

The wording on Back Alley is "Place Seamus anywhere within 10" that is also within 1" of any blocking terrain."

Since it is a Place and not a Move I would agree that it is probably a crow flying kind of thing.

But, just to put some numbers on it let's say that Seamus was 8" away from a building that is 8" tall. Can he use Back Alley to get on top of the building? The length of the straight (45 degree angle) line from starting point to the roof is over 11".