seriously, where do i get a real uncensored copy of the rules?

gabriel72

Question

The PDF just isn't going to cut it, and the rule book is out of print. I need to learn the rules myself, and then teach two other people to play. thats hard to do with a pdf that lives on a computer in another room. I cant print 100+ pages, and even if i did its made even harder with all the blacked out diagrams and other missing stuff from the PDF.

I see that there are several other books that have rule in their names but i have no idea what to buy.

6 answers to this question

There are currently 4 core books for Malifaux: Malifaux, Rising Powers, Twisting Fates, and Storm of Shadows. These books have game rules, but more importantly, they have all the model information in them.

There is one rulebook worth having, though, and that's the rules manual. This is essentially the rules from Malifaux and Rising Powers combined and errata'd. However, you'll still be missing some of the rules that came out in Twisting Fates and Storm of Shadows. The rules manual coupled with the online errata and FAQ will be everything you need. You should be able to find the rules manual online if they don't have any copies at a local store.

With all of that said, there is a second edition of the game coming out next month. The core rulebook should have all the rules and there won't be the trouble of errata and extra books. I would highly recommend waiting for the second edition release and purchasing that. That should be easy enough to find and you won't be wasting time or money with an older edition.

Hope that helps.

OK, so the Core Book v1.5 has the info i need to play the game that is in the manual, but with more fluff? Im getting my family to play. we have 3 box sets. Kirai, rasputina, and misaki. Should i also get the expantion books.

I get that in a month most of this will need to be replaced with the new book(s) but id like to get going before that.

OK, so the Core Book v1.5 has the info i need to play the game that is in the manual, but with more fluff? Im getting my family to play. we have 3 box sets. Kirai, rasputina, and misaki. Should i also get the expantion books.

I get that in a month most of this will need to be replaced with the new book(s) but id like to get going before that.

Correct. v1.5 has everything in the Rules Manual plus all the errata that came between the two. You'll be good to go. Only get the expansion books if you want to read the fluff or like collecting stuff or you're allergic to money. :) (The one exception to this would be the most recent book, Storm of Shadows, that has the Ten Thunders stuff in it.) Honestly, if it were up to me, the fluff is great stuff and is worth it. But to play the game, you only really need the v1.5 book.

Correct. v1.5 has everything in the Rules Manual plus all the errata that came between the two. You'll be good to go. Only get the expansion books if you want to read the fluff or like collecting stuff or you're allergic to money. :) (The one exception to this would be the most recent book, Storm of Shadows, that has the Ten Thunders stuff in it.) Honestly, if it were up to me, the fluff is great stuff and is worth it. But to play the game, you only really need the v1.5 book.

+1

Honestly, I forgot about the 1.5 book since I've been in the errata trenches :-P

PM me your address and I'll send you a spare copy of the V 1.5 rules manual I've got at home and you can save $15 to buy more models with.