Webmonkey's Garage Kits,...

Webmonkey

ok,.. got both arms on. Still need to do the weapon. But I thought I'd move on to a little step by step of the eyes,.. since I've been asked how I did them on the fairy.

Step 1: Flesh color the whole face.

post-8871-13911930393668_thumb.jpg

Step 2: Add the whites

post-8871-13911930394259_thumb.jpg

Step 3: Add a black line across the whole edge of the upper lid. And also a bit on the lower lid, in from both corners. But note that I haven't connected the line across the bottom. I like to leave the flesh exposed here. Connecting them across tends to give a bit more of a "mascara" look. But that isn't the look I'm going for on this one.

post-8871-13911930394823_thumb.jpg

I need to clean the lines up a bit, but wanted to be sure that you could see them.

(stay tuned,.. more to come)

step 4: Add the pupils. Placement is the key here. Try to imagine them both staring at the same thing. This is important, because if they aren't placed correctly, your character can end up being cross-eyed or googly-eyed. In this case, I chose more of a straight forward look, but if you wanted (or if the pose of the model dictates otherwise), you can make the eyes look to one side or the other. (this would also be the time to decide if you want some other kind of pupil, such as cat eyes or what have you)

post-8871-13911930395347_thumb.jpg

Step 5: Add the Iris lines. Try to keep the distance from the pupil uniform all the way around. Also note, that slightly more of the iris is hidden under the upper lid then under the lower one. This is the norm for most eyes, and is why the pupil placement in step 4 is so important.

post-8871-13911930396006_thumb.jpg

Step 6: Color the eyes. On this one I chose a purple. It might be a bit dark and hard to differentiate from the black of the pupil or the outer lines, but hopefully you can see it well enough in the photos.

post-8871-13911930444733_thumb.jpg

Step 7: Light sourcing. (this is the part that really brings the eyes to life). You need to decide where the light is coming from and put a white dot there. In this case, I chose the upper left corner. This is a large-ish dot, and can bleed over into the white of the eye. Then, we do a much smaller dot, diagonally across and down, and into the color of the eye.

These dots are adjustable. You could put the big dot in the upper right corner instead, and the small dot in the lower left. It just depends on where you want the light source to come from. And if you are doing gems and such on your model, I suggest making sure that all the light sourcing is coming from the same direction,.. otherwise it'll feel confused.

post-8871-13911930445538_thumb.jpg

Decided on a blonde to off-set all that green and brown, and to help the purple eyes pop a bit more. Got a bit of touch up to do on the hair, and need to flock the base. Other then that, all that's left is to decide on the weapon. More updates to come shortly,...

post-8871-13911930456183_thumb.jpg

Edited by Webmonkey

ok,.. I think I have the base the way I want it. The glue is still wet, which is why you can see it at the bottom of some of the grass, but that'll disappear as it dries. Otherwise, just need to do the weapon. I tried the wood grain pattern on the staff, but don't care for it. I think I may just do a gold metallic staff, to play off of the lines in the clothes, with a purple jewel inlayed in the center.

Anyways, here it is,...

post-8871-13911930469589_thumb.jpg

Ooooh she's looking so good!

Also experiencing that shocking moment when her head looks nothing how I was imagining it. Hahaha.

Wish I had the skills to paint these! I imagine that because they're a lot bigger than a miniature, my severely wavering brush strokes would be A LOT more noticeable than on a teeny tiny little thing.

@Lussuria At the risk of derailing the thread (and doing this only cause I know Web and doubt he'll complain much)...you're looking at someone who has been doing painting in general for a good amount of time. You don't have the skills to do something like that at this moment, no...but put in some time and discipline? Absolutely you do. Hell, I can show you some models I did three years ago that I was proud of, and still am, but the model I painted the other day doesn't even look like it was the same person.

Point to this, is take threads like this as a challenge. This is where people you admire are at in this point of their journey. Aim to be as good if not better when you reach the same point. And take heart! We all felt like our skills were lackluster at one point in time. We improved because we kept at it. Honestly, I'm looking forward to seeing your work at some point!

:)

@ Edonil: Oh thankyou so much :) !

I do keep having to remind myself that experience won't just one day hit me and I'll produce and award winning masterpiece without practice and a lot of hard work. Hahaha, I do however wish Webmonkey had a 'copy and paste' ability when it came to talent!!

@ Edonil: Oh thankyou so much :) !

I do keep having to remind myself that experience won't just one day hit me and I'll produce and award winning masterpiece without practice and a lot of hard work. Hahaha, I do however wish Webmonkey had a 'copy and paste' ability when it came to talent!!

(decides to complain,.. just because Ed said I wouldn't,.. complain,.. moan,.. groan,.. ok,.. I'm over it *grin*)

Thanks!! I really appreciate that you like my work that much. But Ed's right, this doesn't come overnight. It takes years of practice, and trying new techniques, and failing,.. (a lot). You also have to remember that I tend to be older then most folks on this site (by about a decade). So I've had longer to hone my skills.

To be honest, I'm a mediocre painter, maybe bordering on just above average. Don't get me wrong. I like painting and enjoy it thoroughly,.. but am I one of the top ten painters in the world??,... not even close. Hell,.. I'm not even in the top ten here on the forums. (if the list of painters is long enough though, I might be able to make it as the very last entry *laughs*)

If you really wanna see some good paint, you should check out Mako's thread. He's amazing (mutters something about being complete rubbish under my breath *grin*). He's probably one that most here would put in their top ten list.

The next time they do an Iron Painter Tournament here on the site (pokes the Wyrd staff with a sharp stick to prod them into action) you should join in. Chances are you won't win, but it's a great way to challenge yourself, and to see what other people can bring to the table. With my luck though,.. I'll be pitted against Mako in round 1.

But anyways,.. as has been said on this site before, but I can't remember by who,...

"The key to this hobby is to find your middle ground,.. To believe that you're good enough to keep doing it,.. But bad enough to always think that you still need to improve."

Just some food for thought.

next up,.. another anime character,... Rurouni Kenshin.

Again, I need to decide if black-lining is the way to go here. I'm thinking yes. I also need to decide what color to paint his clothes. The character has two colors, depending on what part of the story you are watching,.. blue, or red. I'm leaning towards red, since I've already done a blue on Kakashi.

Thoughts?

I really need to invest in a case to display them in. They just sort of hap-hazardly litter my house.

I haven't sold any off, but then,.. no one has ever offered to buy one yet. (but then again, I've only been doing these large ones for a few months now). I don't know if I'd sell these particular ones,... but if someone wanted to commission a piece, I might entertain the thought.

Have any thoughts on which kenshin to do?

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

And I guess I should ask if you guys still wanna see the step by steps??? or should I just post the completed projects at this point?

Have any thoughts on which kenshin to do?

And I guess I should ask if you guys still wanna see the step by steps??? or should I just post the completed projects at this point?

I will always lean towards the classic looking pinker Kenshin because that colour is what I associate with him.

And of course!! Very exciting watching them come together *grin* And being able to discuss certain changes etc along the way!!