Yan Lo Summoning Idea?

D-A-C

Hi guys.

I already have a full Kirai crew and Izamu so I'm thinking of keeping the Asian theme going by picking up Yan Lo.

So, in preperation I have been looking over the pullmyfinger entries on all the new 10t ressers and was wondering if the following might be a really powerful summoning strategy. I don't have the cards yet, so advice and tips would be greatly appreciated (you guys already saved me money when I tried thinking of summoning stuff with Rafkin in a McMouring list).

So here goes:

Core List Needed For Summoning

Yan Lo

Datsue Ba

Toshiro the Damiyo

x2 Ashigaru

x2 Desp Merc

Now, if anything else benefits from nearby deaths or corpse counters feel free to suggest them.

The above list costs 23ss worth of models.

Summoning Idea

1. Merc A. Takes defensive Stance

2. Merc B. Takes defensive Stance

3. Ashigaru A hits Merc A weakening it and netting Toshiro a conflict token

4. Ashigaru B hits Merc B weakening it and netting Toshiro a 2nd conflict token

5. Datsue Ba kills Merc A with Weigh Sins and gets 1 Gaki and netting Toshiro a 3rd Conflict Token and Yan Lo 1 Chi

6. Datsue Ba kills Merc B with Weigh Sins and gets 1 Gaki (2 total) and netting Toshiro a 4th Conflict Token (now he can summon another Ashigaru or Punk Zombie) and Yan Lo 1 Chi (giving him 2 total).

And that's it!

From 4ss investment you get 6ss x2 Gaki, 1 potential Ashigaru or Punk Zombie and 2 points in Yan Lo's Chi Tree.

What do you guys think? Does anything else benefit from all this death going on? What can be done with the x2 corpse counters (can Yan Lo summon anything with them?) Would dogs be better than mercs? Is there a better way to do thinks?

Please leave comments, feedback and suggestions.

Thanks.

to simplify it:

have the desperate mercs attack each other, weakening them, and have datsue-ba finish them off for either gaki or onroyo, and the chi for yan lo, as well as the corpse counters for him to carry to resummon Izamu, or for the gaki to snack on as required.

still better though, is simply not to do this turn 1: its a waste of the capabilities and efficiency of the desperate mercnaries. You can do this on turn 2-3 when they use for my family to get a better trade off IMO. It might also mean that you get the healing flip from the mercenary when it actually means something.

core of the list becomes:

Yan Lo

datsue-ba

2 desperate mercs

allowing you more flexability.

Sorry to brake it to you but Toshiro only nets conflict token from melee strikes and it has to be against enemy models. would be great if it was possible though :)

Damn that's a pity. As I said, I'm doing this all from the wiki entries and they are a bit unclear.

Do any of the unique Yan Lo models benefit from friendlies getting hit or corpse counters being dropped?

What do you guys think x2 dogs then (easier to kill than mercs) exchanged for x2 Gaki and x2 Chi Points still any good, and is it the best possible? Also, any ideas for corpse counter use other than both Gaki gobbling them up for future healing flips?

I just thought that maybe Datsue Ba in amongst a Yan Lo crew getting two Gaki off the bat, as well as benefitting the rest of the crew in some way might be useful.

From a theory standpoint I can see the use in running as many Ancestors as possible with Yan along with Soul Porter, but I think I'll probably stick to 2-3 max as they are a bit points intensive, even though they can be summoned straight back.

I think Chiaki and Toshiro might be my two regulars with Izamu coming a very close third (he's just a bit expensive sometimes) whilst Yin I'll only use in specific circumstances.

Anyway, as for killing to summon, I personally don't think you ever want to waste more than 4ss on summoning extra stuff, but maybe that's just me. But like I said, is there anyway to extra more benefit out of two dogs being killed by Datsue or is the whole thing competing for ss spent elsewhere?

Edit

to simplify it:

have the desperate mercs attack each other, weakening them, and have datsue-ba finish them off for either gaki or onroyo, and the chi for yan lo, as well as the corpse counters for him to carry to resummon Izamu, or for the gaki to snack on as required.

still better though, is simply not to do this turn 1: its a waste of the capabilities and efficiency of the desperate mercnaries. You can do this on turn 2-3 when they use for my family to get a better trade off IMO. It might also mean that you get the healing flip from the mercenary when it actually means something.

core of the list becomes:

Yan Lo

datsue-ba

2 desperate mercs

allowing you more flexability.

In that case maybe you would just drop Datsue Ba entirely as i doubt she'll be there to get a last wound gaki exchange on the Mercs a few turns down the line.

The whole thing becomes a moot point after a few turns have passed, plus Yan Lo crews have a few ways to heal anyway correct?

Thats why, as I said two dogs for some Gaki and Chi might be nice and your not losing models as you gain 2 Gaki and your only missing out on 1 full activation (Datsue ba to do it). The dogs can attack each other to whittle themselves down before Datsue finishes them off, this has the added benefit of out activating your opponent and seeing where he is moving and the rest of the crew can advance normally.

Like I said though, the two corpse counters could probably be put to use somehow. Can you just summon Izamu without his relic from Corpse Counters?

Edited by D-A-C

no. to resummon him, you need his relic card and corpse counters.

datsue-ba will certainly be around! with chiaki in the crew you get 2 chi-collection points, and datsue-ba can kill the merc within range of either.

desperate mercs do more than dogs - and for that reason I'll kee[p them in the list.

Chiaki doesnt double chi from one model dying.

I've played quite a few games with Chiaki. She is a very poor support piece. With or without harmless, she gets slaughtered. And no reason to keep her separated from the battle to collect chi because its not difficult keeping Yan Lo by it all. And no reason to move her more than 8" so he can absorb her.

I continue to trot out Chiaki despite poor performances.

I keep waiting for those moments whee Pull of the Grave will be a game-changer. it SEEMS like it should be, but I am just not seeing many non-living crews of late.

Now, I could very well be playing her terribly but for now it seems like she could be my new "Rafkin". What I mean by that is that she is a model that when I read her, I feel like she is going to be awesome and full of utility on the field and then it just never pans out.

(At least she costs 2 less than Rafkin :) )

I have found that taking chiaki and pushing her very close to combat with models like Toshiro and Izamu can be pretty good. Not only does she hand out 1 wd to each friendly model activating, but she also adds more damage to weight of ages on enemy models nearby, is in range for the slowing pulse, and if Izamu gets swamped by other models she can use her 6" pulse push to push everyone off Izamu. Because she does many things subtly and incrementally, she is not paid as much attention by your opponent and is usually not attacked unless your other models around her are already dead. She also can remove the slow of that newly summoned Ashigaru/Punk zombie from toshiro, or that resummoned Izamu/toshiro.

Overall she is kind of dead weight if she sits in the back and I can totally see her being pretty situational and not that effective at times. On the other hand, she is only 5SS and does make your spirit barrage more powerful if she dies. That first turn 6" push is also fantastic for Ashigaru trying to get into position.

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 PM ----------

I'm Thinnking Molly in a family list just to throw out extra Ages spells, a bit of summoning and Put some Negs on def Flips when Izamu and Yan are going hard at it. Was thinking

Yan

Porter

Izamu

Molly

Toshiro

Punk????

What do you think?

I have thought about this list as well, but take Yin instead of Izamu or Toshiro. Yin would get that bonus walk from Molly and give Molly Anathema as well. It makes more sense in terms of synergy to include Yin in a Yan Lo list with Molly in it as well. This also allows spells like Weight of Ages to be more effective because Yin reduces the WP of models she is engaged with by -1. I am actually very curious to see this list in action.

I have found that taking chiaki and pushing her very close to combat with models like Toshiro and Izamu can be pretty good. Not only does she hand out 1 wd to each friendly model activating, but she also adds more damage to weight of ages on enemy models nearby, is in range for the slowing pulse, and if Izamu gets swamped by other models she can use her 6" pulse push to push everyone off Izamu.

But all of that is predicated on her facing a non-living and in some cases undead opponent.

So many living crews around these days it seems...

An all rezer family would be just ancestors. Would only really be for poops and giggles considering you only really need two ancestors to max the certain playstyle you're going for. I wouldn't take Toshiro with Molly in any game though....Molly wants high crows, Toshiro wants them, and Yan Lo sort of wants them. That fight for crows is terrible to play with. And with Molly, you're going to want to run 7 id not 8 stones.

• 2 weeks later...

I do think Yin would go pretty good with Molly. I am heating up to the idea. Has anyone put a crew together with some dogs to sack early for Chi and then used them to summon with Molly. Would this be workable and would 2 be to many to hire just to kill then say summon Sybelle or a normal belle or even mollys totem? Can Yan get 4 Chis of 2 Dogs with his Spell? I haven't looked....

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

does everybody sac the 3 stones at the beginning to get the CHI

Edited by Hunter-thom