Clockwork traps w/ Hoffman

Spifferson

So I was about to pick up the pathfinder & traps box to add the traps into my hoffman crew and I started think. Are they just a fluffy choice for him because they're constructs, or are there greater synergies with the hoffman crew that warrant me purchasing them and fielding them in my crew?

I think there's a lot of potential for Traps with Hoffman. If nothing else, they're cheap targets for Tap Power (they probably aren't going to be moving around much, so it matters less if they're Slow) as well as being cheap Ca boosts and cheap, well, whatever you might need a Construct for, really. They're also just good for their intended purpose, which is locking things down. Lock it down, and then Hoffman can Open Circuit its face off without having to take an attack. They also have a couple goodies he could Assimilate to make him tougher to hit (like Tiny) and if all else fails he can use them for healing. I think it's at least worth a shot, considering the low soulstone investment.

The Pathfinder doesn't suck, either. Pointman is a nice ability, and he can hit pretty hard sometimes. Don't know if he would synergize with Hoffman specifically, but he's not bad in general. Plus, free Traps and potentially more Traps.

Small time.

24 of them in a brawl, 12 per side.

Malifaux checkers.

Trapception.

Yo dawg, I heard you liked traps so we put traps in your traps so you can trap while you trap.

Malifaux Trapipede.

I'm going to hell for that last one.

I honestly feel that if you had to buy, assemble and paint 24 clockwork traps the joke wont be on your opponent.

I honestly feel that if you had to buy, assemble and paint 24 clockwork traps the joke wont be on your opponent.

They're not that bad. If I wanted them to all look roughly the same, I could probably get 'em all done in one night. Snip 'em loose, trim the flash, glue 'em, then it's just prime 'em, slap some metallic paint on them, dip 'em in some sand, call 'em done.

They're not that bad. If I wanted them to all look roughly the same, I could probably get 'em all done in one night. Snip 'em loose, trim the flash, glue 'em, then it's just prime 'em, slap some metallic paint on them, dip 'em in some sand, call 'em done.

Its still on the bonkers side of excessive lol. Also Leveticus thanks you for his free SPAs

Meh. If I were worried about dealing with Leveticus, I'd just... flip the table the moment my opponent declared Outcasts.

Strangely, this is already fairly close to the truth.

Bloody outcasts.

That said, I'm not sure I could see myself starting with many actually on the board. Using McCabe's and/or the Pathfinder's cache, however, might be useful for fortifying a spot or building a chokepoint.

This is about Hoffman though. Hoffman doesnt really need traps because he's probably smashing the opponents face in with his borrowed iron fists.

Traps are area denial tools and are best with the tricksier masters like Misaki and McCabe. Everyone else can kind of spend their SS better elsewhere.

• 1 month later...
This is about Hoffman though. Hoffman doesnt really need traps because he's probably smashing the opponents face in with his borrowed iron fists.

Traps are area denial tools and are best with the tricksier masters like Misaki and McCabe. Everyone else can kind of spend their SS better elsewhere.

Between the traps' own abilities and the Pathfinder's pit trap spell, they're quite good at slowing the enemy down while you move your crew into position.

They're also dirt cheap, with a Pathfinder and two traps for a modest 6SS. I bring them along just to out activate my opponent.

Finally, they make effective and cheap bodyguards for vulnerable models.

Since they were released, I've been able to justify using Ortega-heavy Perdita crew without worrying about getting swarmed. An with the traps and Pathfinder ranging ahead, the family can make themselves a handy little bottleneck *evil*

None of this is specific to Hoffman, mind you, but I think Clockwork Traps have plenty of utility for any master.

Between the traps' own abilities and the Pathfinder's pit trap spell, they're quite good at slowing the enemy down while you move your crew into position.

They're also dirt cheap, with a Pathfinder and two traps for a modest 6SS. I bring them along just to out activate my opponent.

Finally, they make effective and cheap bodyguards for vulnerable models.

Since they were released, I've been able to justify using Ortega-heavy Perdita crew without worrying about getting swarmed. An with the traps and Pathfinder ranging ahead, the family can make themselves a handy little bottleneck *evil*

None of this is specific to Hoffman, mind you, but I think Clockwork Traps have plenty of utility for any master.

Yeah but Hoff is already pretty much using all his stones just for his 'key' models. I agree that the activations are nice but the thing is that traps don't get better as the game progresses, where canine remains, spirits and rats (the most common junk activations) do to at least some degree. If there were a way for Hoff to parlay traps into nastier minions then maybe. But 2ss for an extra activation that becomes increasingly irrelevant as the clock moves towards 6 is pretty steep.