Crew Selection For the Dreamer

Hunter-thom

I have just picked up the dreamer and I really want to learn to be competitive with him. I need some advice on crew selection and the low down on any turn1/2 tricks and things that Dreamer players do to get the advantage early game. I don't have any stiched or any Daydreams yet and I need to know if I need them. My main models that I like is the twins and coppelius, having used them with my Lilith team. Does the widow weaver go with any Dreamer crews and is the dreamer ever used with collodi???? any advice or even storys about games played with the dreamer would be great. :)

daydreams are necessary, yes. Stitched aren't strictly necessary but are excellent models for the cost. Collodi is a great henchman, quite possibly the best, but he has no special synergy with the dreamer so yes they can work together but neither get's stronger because of being together.

If getting started with the dreamer start with the pullmyfinger article on him.

Daydreams are essential for him.

Stitched together are generally great models, but slow, this is where the dreamer/daydreams come in and drop them off where ever you want them:)

Twins always work, and can be bounced around with support from daydreams/dreamer again. Though as far as i know, they always want to be on the table at the end of the turn else they get hurt.

As for Collodi, he works fairly interdependently, and does what he does well, runs around and uses his marionettes to hit stuff lots of times for little damage (potentially 5 attacks per model, all paired) And Collodi himself buffs the Stitched togethers WP, which is amazing for them, if they are close enough to him. And the Dreamer and again his daydreams can help them to keep pace.

I have to say, after the dreamer/LCb and Daydreams, i am not actually sure what models in his selection make him competitive, he just seems to work and be very hard work to beat, once you have learnt how to play him. Where to put stuff, what to kill, what to ignore, what to take out of action. (Lilitu + Lure or Coppelius + Slumber trigger i think its called?)

in the thread below, there is my thoughts on most if not all the nightmares and their uses, slightly influenced by how i play so, other people will rate other models much higher than me:)

http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?40237-Starting-Dreamer

---------- Post added at 12:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

As for tips and tricks, i just go for staying as much out of sight as i possibly can.

generally deploy only the Dreamer and Daydreams, and go high up on buildings, out of sight as everything has/can get flight or float, and appear where you want, and when. I have a tendency to run down the middle and then when i attack i jump to one side a little and attack with everything from the one place. Move 7" then summon (with trigger if needed) everything within 6" meaning stuff can appear anywhere within 13" of where he is at the start of his activation, then sac a daydream somewhere else to attack with Chompy when they aren't expecting it.

• 2 weeks later...

Played my first game with the dreamer and I must admit he has some damage output. However Coming from my neverborn background of playing Lilith. Chompy is very different, I'm very concerned about his DF. Imade a few mistakes early game with my deployment and my first move but managed to make up for it. In a 35ss game of slaughter my list went like this

Dreamer

1 Daydream

Twins

Coppelius

Madness

and a stiched to bodyguard the dreamer.

I was playing against lady J and a bit of an experimental list with Misaki (minion) and a convict gunslinger and a few others papa loco included. My biggest mistake I think I made was I deployed with My dreamer and a stiched side by side and my daydream and the madness about 12inches away. and after the fist move the daydream was even further away as misaki came down the flank and I few the dreamer out to meet her. I poped out a nightmare, placed chompy and then charged killing misaki outright first turn. My mistake was that cause I got the flay trigger of chompy was left out in the open and lady j moved within range.

next turn I burned a SS and won initiative and charged the fair Lady with chompy who went on an appalling rampage with onslaught and flay triggers and poison. One dead Lady one poisoned and then unhinged Papa and another Paralyzed Judge and it was just mopping up left to do. How do the regular dreamer players go about keeping the dreamer and Chompy safe, at times when you have just taken out a big model and you don't get the trigger ?

Slingshots using bury and unbury tactics are the classic way of keeping the dreamer safe. I can't remember what the errata changed so these may be less effective or impossible now.

The dreamer is damn hard to pin down what with ignoring anything with an area of effect and the ability to pass of attacks to other valid nightmare targets. Chompy is easier to hit but you pretty much have to kill him in one go because otherwise either the daydreams bury him or he eats something healing back up.

I have to admit i tend to just throw LCB in and then just see what happens. if i have one free to do so, i will aim to get a daydream near him just in case i want to move him, or save him. And i don't think i have used the trigger to bury him more than twice in all my games with him.

The old slingshot is gone, but you can still get almost anywhere you want with Chompy. Daydreams are pretty vital for the crew, I personally play with at least two. I also like to run a pair of stitched together for guard duty, after that I only have to put one nightmare in to get my pool to 5 SS from the Master of Dreams ability, which generally speaking is Coppelius although the twins are very hard to pass up. There are plenty of great nightmare models for you to try out as a base for your own personal Dreamer crew, which I think makes him very flexible. You only "need" five nightmare models to maximize your return on investment from MoD and then you can take other models, but generally speaking you won't want to do that so you can maximize shenanigans using your Daydreams and The Dreamers with nightmares. It's a fun crew, I think you'll enjoy it.

Edit: I've done the same as Ozz many times and had great fun with it as your opponent tends to get target fixation on Chompy if he stays out, allowing you to concentrate on the strategy and your schemes.

Edited by Tuttleboy

No, they each have 2 AP, but between the two of them, if both are on the board in the same turn, they can use three 1 actions between them. if one of them gets fast some how, then they can use all three AP and the other one can not use any.

Short version. They can use 2 AP each, but share a pool of 3 AP between the pair of them.