Haunting Melody vs Smoldering Heart

poulpox

Question

Hi there community!

Little quick one: I target a fire gamin with Hamlin's pipes. Must the gamin declare then and there ("once declared the target of a duel") whether he's using Smoldering Heart (even if at that point it isn't known whether I will have the Haunting Melody trigger), or is he allowed to wait and declare it only when and if I trigger Haunting Melody? (ie does having to do the Haunting Melody simple duel equates to being the "target of a duel")

Thanks y'all!

:)

7 answers to this question

Hmm... apparently not, as smoldering heart only lasts "until the Duel is resolved", and the attack you are targetted with is a Df duel so not much use.

I'm not sure but I don't think the gamin counts as being "targetted" by the trigger's Wp duel, in which case you would not get to use Smoldering heart for it at all.

I'm not sure but I don't think the gamin counts as being "targetted" by the trigger's Wp duel, in which case you would not get to use Smoldering heart for it at all.

Thanks for your replies guys!

Yes, this part is rather ambiguous; considering that the gamin becomes the "active" model for that Wp flip (and all those talents like immune to influence don't work at that moment), it doesn't feel like it should be considered as targeted/defending at that point.

Are we sure though that the flip caused by the trigger isn't part of the original duel (if not gamin could use smoldering heart at the very beginning for it to last til end of the combat in case the trigger is flipped)?

the duel is CB Vs DF for the original duel. this is the part of nominating a target checking range and so forth. at this moment there is no WP duel to use smoldering heart. the ability smoldering heart says "When declared target of a duel..." the trigger does not declare a target as the target has been already declared.

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

so to answer your question: Can you use smoldering heart vs Hamlin's pipes? No

for some reason i keep reading my book and it says when it is a target of a duel. now i swear it said target of a WP duel. if it just says Duel then you can use smoldering heart, but he might not even get the trigger and you did a free wound to yourself

Edited by The Godlyness