Emissary's load of models

emissary

My plan is to get this gallery set up ahead of selling 5 of my crews this week. Going to start off with my Yan Lo stuff today, then on to my Colette, Lilith, McMourning, Seamus, Kirai and Nicodem crews later this week. I also hope to get the Marcus, Leveticus, Zoraida and Viktoria crews I've also painted for some friends. I feel a bit sad that I finally get everything painted, then will proceed to sell of Lilith, McMourning, Seamus, Kirai and Nicodem the same week since I'm switching over to Ten Thunders, but it should be fun painting more.

Anyway, here we go:

post-4818-13911926958976_thumb.jpg

post-4818-13911926957957_thumb.jpg

post-4818-13911926958436_thumb.jpg

Edited by emissary

Some more. Also, when I got these I was playing Ressers pretty heavily and was the first time in years I actually painted according to the pictures in the book. However, with the move to the Ten Thunders, I'm getting Asian Bases for everyone and changing up the color scheme, so all of these guys will be rebased and the cloth will be repainted.

post-4818-13911926959862_thumb.jpg

post-4818-13911926959367_thumb.jpg

I like and I don't like your style. I think it is awesomely clean and really neat. It actually looks nice. But it kind of kills off fine detail a bit.

A thing I would possibly recommend for a change would be the glow emitting from Izamu's armor. Since his armor is in blue, the light doesn't really pop out as it could, possibly should, if that was your intention.

Still a damn cool crew. I like it.

Thanks for the advice. Few things:

I agree on the glow. For some reason the colors on Izamu and the Ashigaru don't sit well with me (I think it's the blue cloth). As I stated before, I plan on repainting parts of them soon when my new bases get here. The current plan is to paint Chiaki's purple robes, the green cloth on the Soul Porter, the blue cloth on the Ashigaru and Izamu and Lo Pan's robe and blue cloth on his skeleton a darker green and to paint the white cloth on Chiaki, the grey back on the Soul Porter, the red on Izamu and Ashigaru and the beltsash on Yan Lo a richer purple (I've discovered that Xerses Purple and Liche Purple are not the same color no matter what GW says...) This should bring out the glow more that you mentioned. As a side note, I was disappointed to find that the spirit glow on Izamu and Yan Lo weren't modeled. I had to do some of the physical nature of it with greenstuff.

Yeah, I agree at times I can kill off the detail. Sometimes it's on purpose so that it won't blend all together on the tabletop and I want to make something stand out, and other times it just happens. I must admit that getting out the details on these new plastic models have been unexpectedly hard as they're really subtle at times. The first one I did was Mr Graves and I really don't like how his face turned out, but thought I did a better job with Yan Lo's face. I'm a little worried about the fact that I've just bought the rest of the Ten Thunders this week and will have about 50+ plastic models to paint up now. Haven't had this problem with the GW plastics in the past. Figure I'll adapt quickly.

There are times where I'll go a little more severe with the shading though just because I like the look. In my crews I've had some visual things I put in to make it obvious about some traits of the model on the table. For example, my spirits have blue skin with very severe highlights (you can kind of see it in the soul porter), my undead will have green/brown putrid skin and pupil-less eyes unless they're skeletons, neverborn will have red eyes with no pupils, nephalim will also have a more severe contrast on their skin as well.

Some cool looking additions! I like aNicodem and "29" the most, even though "29"'s model kind of irritates me. Not your fault though.

What is kind of extreme are the yellows in your Kirais. I think a shade/base coat of a darker, more brown yellow, would have made the clothes look less super blindingly bright. Though, yellow is a total pain in the ass to paint. xD

Yeah, yellow has been something I've usually stayed away from. I do like bright colors though so that plays a part. Anyway, had some stuff come up the last couple of days, but I'm going to put up the rest of the Ressers and Neverborn today. I'll put up the Showgirls once I finish their Oiran.

post-4818-13911927164524_thumb.jpg

post-4818-13911927161262_thumb.jpg

post-4818-13911927161894_thumb.jpg

post-4818-13911927162475_thumb.jpg

post-4818-13911927163112_thumb.jpg

post-4818-13911927163788_thumb.jpg

I don't know if you're using it, but I've found that painting on primer is way better for Wyrd plastics than spray-on. Allows you to get one nice thin coat of primer without obscuring any detail.

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

Also, loving the blue and gold shikome.

Well, those are all my current painted models. Pity I'm going to ebay everything except the Yan Lo stuff and the Showgirls this week. Gotta make room for the Ten Thunders stuff I've bought. I'll also try to get pictures of the Zoraia/Collodi, Viktorias, Leveticus and Marcus crews I've painted for my friends here soon if I can.

I like and I don't like your style. I think it is awesomely clean and really neat. It actually looks nice. But it kind of kills off fine detail a bit.

Still a damn cool crew. I like it.

I have to agree. At table top distances, it looks phenomenal. It's the closeups of how you make the colors stand out that ruins the illusion. I guess it's like we're staring into pixels instead of at the picture.

A recommendation for Jakune (and any other model with such a thick base insert), assuming you're not switching out her base too: Try out the deep dish bases from Secret Weapon (or a few other companies).

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/swmrlhb5001.html

Spawn Mother's base slipped right into it. The little bit of flash around the outside held it in place, but allowed it to spin, so I eventually pried it out to paint it and glue it in properly.

I have to agree. At table top distances, it looks phenomenal. It's the closeups of how you make the colors stand out that ruins the illusion. I guess it's like we're staring into pixels instead of at the picture.

A recommendation for Jakune (and any other model with such a thick base insert), assuming you're not switching out her base too: Try out the deep dish bases from Secret Weapon (or a few other companies).

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/swmrlhb5001.html

Spawn Mother's base slipped right into it. The little bit of flash around the outside held it in place, but allowed it to spin, so I eventually pried it out to paint it and glue it in properly.

Thanks, I'll have to keep it in mind for the future. I've already based, pinned and started painting my current 10T stuff with the metal bases but will have to remember for more stuff. Jakune was my first experience with a metal insert and my 10T stuff will my first crew with entirely metal inserts.